Giving Dickel its due

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Giving Dickel its due

Unread postby Digdug » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:33 pm

I do enjoy the dickel #12.....this is just good stuff and of course you can't beat the price. I am new to bourbon/whisky and am looking forward to trying(note- I say "trying") to find a good alternative for Dickel at the $20 price point.

Its not overly complex, but I think very smooth and also well balanced. What more can you ask for $20??? Plus I like to ask guests if they would like a taste of my Dickel! Always good for a laugh.

I'll post my tasting notes when I get a chance. For now.....I need to get through this day, head home and pour a dram!

cheers.

DD
Digdug

Unread postby raul » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:33 pm

my brother swears by Dickel, he loves barrel select best, I like it ok, it is very good whiskey, but I prefer bourbon, Woodford Reserve, Makers 46, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams SB, there are so many, but Dickel is very nice, the best Tenn. Whiskey.
raul

Unread postby BourbonDave » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:19 am

I've mentioned Dickel 12 a couple of times in other posts. I don't think you are going to have any luck finding something in that price range with that flavor and smooth drinkability. It's just fantastic....I purchased a 750ml at $15!

You may find Weller 12, Buffalo Trace, or even EC12 to your liking. I just bought the Barrel Select yesterday from Dickel. Can't wait to try it.
BourbonDave

Unread postby ebo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:46 pm

raul wrote:my brother swears by Dickel, he loves barrel select best, I like it ok, it is very good whiskey, but I prefer bourbon, Woodford Reserve, Makers 46, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams SB, there are so many, but Dickel is very nice, the best Tenn. Whiskey.

I drink a lot of the #12. It's just great whisky for the price.... and even if it was twice the price.

I really wish the Barrel Select was 100 proof or more. It is very good, but I can't justify the price for something that isn't even 90 proof, when I can get the #12 for half the price and it's really just as good, IMO.... just a little different.
ebo

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm

I also enjoy Dickel #12.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 am

anyone know if CURRENT DICKEL NO. 12 are better now then what was out just after reopening in 2004. that bottle was 0500 8310 01 back 0600110602. maybe it was just an unlucky bottle. If so could you give me a reference number so i can check with the UK store when they get some no. 12. Thanks.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Sun May 13, 2012 1:49 pm

it seems there nothing wrong with any dickel. the taste profile after 2003 slightly changed by forums i read. something about older stock. but the 1st link is suggesting 2007 and up bottles that profile will return.

by the code on bottle how would i know that?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/s ... php?t=3557
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/a ... -2972.html
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby Ettore » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:46 pm

I agree with the positive reviews here. I like the Dickel 12 and Barrel Select. I could only find the 12 at a small shop that has higher prices so I "overpaid" for the 12 but it was still a huge bargain when the taste versus price ratio is considered.
Ettore

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:13 am

Got my no 8 import. Never had 8. Wow Big body. Lively too. Just what I wanted.
I did not want a night caper.

No 12 is certainly smoothest and total perfection.
all the little oak timbers back palate I kept thinking off this bush BBQ..
A few dops in milk made that milk so tasty too. not a hint of alcohol.

Select had incredible power. I cant handle that amount of toasted oak. a tiny sip wiped me out.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby PollardsVision » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:58 pm

I recently discovered Dickel 12.So glad I did. It's such a wonderful change of pace to have around.

I can't find any decent Rye. I can't afford to drink decent Scotch regularly. Dickel is the perfect change of pace for me.

Not that that's all it is. It's just a fantastic whisky.
PollardsVision

Unread postby melessabest » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:11 am

I would like to rate this whiskey 9 out of 10,very smooth, perfect balance, rich amber color and a hint of vanilla.That makes this whiskey at least best for me.
Read this interesting news http://ecigarettereviewed.com/tobacco-t ... -november/ .Tobacco tax increase voting in November.
melessabest

Unread postby Mike » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:07 pm

melessabest wrote:I would like to rate this whiskey 9 out of 10,very smooth, perfect balance, rich amber color and a hint of vanilla.That makes this whiskey at least best for me.

I am a fan of Dickel (this was my original post, after all), and I certainly prefer it over the Jack Daniel's 80 proof Tennessee whiskies. But in fairness, in my opinion, no Dickel whiskey is as good as Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.......... I calls 'em like I see's 'em. JDSB is a world class whiskey............ good as it is, I do not think any Dickel whiskey is there......... yet!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Can any recommand Casade? i would be paying about x 4 times up. I actualy did not bitterness Dickel No 8.
No 12 was so none offense. Drank straight from bottle.
It's this alcohol heat and offensive wood i can't handle. Is casade nice and smooth and light and fresh/

I'f cascade I would not enjoy then maybe I might import 100 proof old grand dad.
dickelfanaustralia

Previous

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey