Best bourbon brand today

Come and vote your opinions on events in the whiskey world here! Let the polling begin!

Moderators: Squire, Dump Bucket

Best bourbon offered in today's (last 5 years) market comes from:

Barton
1%
Beam
3%
Brown Foreman
4%
Buffalo Trace
28%
Four Roses
17%
Heaven Hill
5%
Kentucky Bourbon Distillers
4%
Van Winkle
24%
Wild Turkey
12%
Other (identify please)
1%

Total votes : 202

Re: Best bourbon brand today

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:35 pm

I think it's symantics. The word BEST is vague and ambiguous. I have only had the LeNell's and Michter's and didn't care of the Michter's and while the LeNell's was interesting, it was a little out of my league. BEST in this case is straying from your usual opinion that more expensive isn't always better, of which KBD doesn't have many affordable products. I think the Old Bardstown was $25 a 750ml.
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby birdman1099 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:37 pm

i enjoy both BT products (RHF and Blantons) and although I do enjoy all BT distilled Van Winkles, I am still impressed by the Pappy line (not distilled by BT, yet)
birdman1099

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Best has a deeper meaning to me, which includes price. Agree to disagree. :)
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Which will also raise debate from some of the members who have a higher price threshold than I or some of the other cheapskates. The debate shall continue. I look forward to it. :blackeye:
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby dnsouthky » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:14 am

dnsouthky wrote:I chose BT, KBD and VW in that order.

I would have picked VW first in the past but they are pricing me out of the marked for my everyday shot. Have gone to weller and think it is much the same my guess (not knowing anything like many of you seem to know) is that the VW is just a process of hand picking barrels of the Weller and rebranding it at a much higher cost. It isn't unti you get to the 20 and 23 yr old VW that there seems to be a real difference. From what I have told even that difference could or anyway may soon be gone in a year or so maybe a little longer even in the 20 and 23yr VW. That could happen even quicker if they sould start blending the BT juice in with the old to make ti last longer.

OK if quaitiy without price is the factor to be used alone I would still pick the same three. The only change would be KBD would be first (the vintage 17 and 23 are as good as VW 20 to my taste)----(until the April price increases (example vintage 17 went from $37 to $67 a bottle) KBD price for quaility would have won hands down over anything else) and the line as a whole is every bit as good as the younger VW's. The second would be the VW based on the VW 20 alone, and third would be BT based on the whole line up.
Remember even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. ----- I just hope to live my life as happy as a blind hog and find my own acorn every now and then.
dnsouthky

Unread postby ethangsmith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Is it bad that I have never had a VanWinkle or Wild Turkey product? I do like my Weller Antique 107 and OGD Bonded (Only Beam product I really like). Maybe I'll see if the state store over in York still has the 2 VanWinkle bottles. Also, I know it's not bourbon and probably not even really relevant, but I like George Dickel No.12 as well. My all time favorite (Michter's from Schaefferstown, PA) is not made anymore.
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby vince » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Van Winkle, Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey in that order. Four Roses would be a close 4th.

Just thinking about it is getting me thirsty!
vince

Unread postby watalo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Wathen's. If I can't get that, Woodford Reserve or Buffalo Trace. I have to keep my mouth shut about the Wathen's among my circle of friends, otherwise it always seems to sell out.
watalo

Unread postby whiskeybreath » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Isn't VanWinkle basically a Buffalo Trace product nowadays? Anyway, I gave the gold metal to Brown-Foreman. They not only make the best bourbon out there at that price point, but they have been doing it longer than any other distiller in KY. Silver metal goes to Barton for making a great whiskey ANYONE can afford. The bronze goes to Buffalo Trace. Of the "newer" distillers out there, they are head&shoulders above the rest.
whiskeybreath

Unread postby raul » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:03 pm

I really don't know enough to vote for more than one on this particular list, I'm good with Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark and Makers 46.
raul

Unread postby Mike Schutz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Costco started stocking Buffalo Trace in 1L bottles at $25. Although I've never had it, I couldn't pass up a deal. What a pleasant suprise. :D :D :D
Life is for the birds
Mike Schutz

Unread postby Wasatch » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:44 pm

I've only had Buffalo Trace from the list. Really enjoyed it. Have some Wild Turkey to try soon.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:01 am

Buffalo Trace is an excellent bourbon! It's my final pour each night. It's actually the Eagle Rare recipe with a little more spice.
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby larosity » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 pm

My three favorites are Blanton's single, Baker's 7yo and standard Woodford Reserve.
larosity

Unread postby Bob Barker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Buffalo trace antique collection puts them at number one for me :)
Bob Barker

Previous

Return to The Voting Booth