Rye Suggestions?

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Rye Suggestions?

Unread postby Don Galligan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:30 pm

bunghole wrote:Distil your own rye.

It's really easy.

You just have to wait a while. No big deal.

Rye is the very easiest whisky to distil and age.

Linn

Linn, Most people don't want to wait 22 years for a great sip of Rye, or 6 or 8 years for that matter.
Don Galligan

Unread postby DeanSheen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Don Galligan wrote:

It's really easy.

Linn

Linn, Most people don't want to wait 22 years for a great sip of Rye, or 6 or 8 years for that matter.

It's tempting.

Where are all the good recipes listed? Are there any good historical one's available?
--- Robert in meatspace. (NE OH)
DeanSheen

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Don Galligan wrote:

It's really easy.

Linn

True Don,

But rye whisky was designed to taste good straight off the still, and it does! They only put it into barrels to transport it to market. Rye doesn't need that much time in the barrel in order to gain some good color and flavor. Indeed, true old time ryes were quite young.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Shell@freilich.com » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 pm

If you're still seeking recommendations:

Pikesville Rye has been suggested and it is a great recommendation. It is a wonderful rye and an excellent value. And, a great 'introductory' rye. A 750 ml bottle is generally $11 - $13; I have found the 1.75 L bottle for $16 - $20 in MD. Pikesville is only distributed in some 4-5 states, but several of the internet sales sites also have it for sale.

Sazerac Rye has also been suggested. It also is a great rye, usually priced $26 - $30 for a 750 ml bottle.

(While Jim Beam Rye and Overholt Rye are the other 2 ryes in the under $25 category, they are the least recommended.)

A sante!
Last edited by Shell@freilich.com on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shell
Shell@freilich.com

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:32 pm

It's really easy.

Linn

You hush your mouth child! Don't be givin' these fellers cockamamy idears. An' after all mine hard work showing peeples how hard rye is. And the foaming!

But rye whisky was designed to taste good straight off the still, and it does! They only put it into barrels to transport it to market. Rye doesn't need that much time in the barrel in order to gain some good color and flavor. Indeed, true old time ryes were quite young.

And there you be going again! Soon they'll be thinkin' they can be havin' good rye whiskey just like the old days that might be just undert half a year and a day. Who knows what chaos that will be bringing. You don't know what fire you playing with. An' even iffen you are a Saint and in good with the ones up Above.
:arrow: imatroublemakercheryl :drunken:
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:12 pm

To: :arrow: imatroublemakercheryl :drunken:

TOO FUNNY! HAHAHA!

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Now, y'all and all, bunghole is known as a saint (not yet a Saint) and he is so cause I appointed him to it a good while back.............which means you ain't got to be a saint to appoint one. All that aside, saint bunghole is perfectly right (comes to whiskey, his aim is dead on) when he say that rye can rightfully be drunk right straight from the still. I know cause I be doing it. I am sipping some of Cheryl's Own (might I suggest that as a name for your illustrious rye white dog, Cheryl), a 100 proof unaged rye distillate from the delaware phoenix distillery. This was a gift from Cheryl Her Own Self.

This clear liquid is an excellent sip of whiskey. 'Tis, as Cheryl Her Own Self reported, 90% rye and 10% malted rye. If you have ever had 100% rye bread you would quickly note the similarities to the aroma and taste of this rye white dog. I have claimed (correctly) that whiskies high in rye owe part of their sweetness to the rye grain. It is proved (as if it needed to be proved) in Cheryl Her Own Self's rye white dog. This is excellent rye whiskey as it comes off the still. In my humble opinion, it is superior to corn white dog because rye imparts much more character and flavor than corn does.

I understand now that Cheryl Her Own Self was not such a novice to the characteristics imparted by various grains as she may have led us to believe. Say you want to distill some whiskey, and sell same. There is little tradition of making malt whiskey in America, but a long tradition of making rye whiskey (among the oldest in our history) and corn whiskey. Say you know that corn whiskey is readily available and rye whiskey is making a comeback. Corn whiskey is sold unaged, but not much rye is sold that way. Given her personality (Cheryl Her Own Self is an independent sort who can and does stand on Her Own Two Feet), which would she choose to distill.......consider that she is from NEW YORK where there is some tradition for producing rye whiskey. Now, just which whiskey do you think Cheryl Her Own Self would end up producing? RIGHT! RYE!

Now, Cheryl Her Own Self is amaking a rye white dog that is first rate off the still and saint bunghole (who knows whiskey from shinola) says rye is good straight off the still and you could have a small explosion on your hands. My own opinion is that Cheryl Her Own Self should go right on ahead and market her rye distillate as soon as possible, cause it is that good. Now, marketing is not something I now Jack Sh_t about, but if she sent along a sample to the right peeps and got they endorsement and offered it as an internet product, I would not bet agin her success.............but knowing Cheryl Her Own Self even as slightly as I do, I bet she is way ahead of me on this stuff.

This is (to me anyway) very interesting stuff. A small distillery making a first rate product, learning as she goes. Takes some backbone and Cheryl Her Own Self has some backbone. I could say I liked the whiskey she sent me cause I admire her (which I do), but, lucky me, I don't have to do that. She makes DAMN good whiskey. That can only be for two reasons...............she knows what she is doing and does it well, and some of her own character comes with the whiskey. Now, it is my belief that something of the character of the master distiller always come through in the end. It is ultimately her/his palate that we come to respect and trust. If she/her makes good whiskey, it is because she/he cares/knows how to do so and will not (for her/his signature product) make less than she/he is capable of doing. If they don't do their best, they will know it and so will some of us.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Well thank you much Mike for your words in favor of my white rye whiskey. I've been through the gauntlet of the TTB label approval, and am working with the label printing folks to, well, get them printed! So it should be soon (another couple weeks, crossing fingers).
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby bluedog20175 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Might I suggest Catoctin Creek RoundStone Rye, a relative small batch newcomer but local here to Loudoun County (the first distillery here since Prohibition). It is certified kosher and organic. At about $39 per bottle it is pricey, but I like to support local efforts.

Previously, my rye of choice was Sazerac, but I have tried Ri from Jim Beam as a step ahead of their yellow label.

http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/products/roundstone
“Sure I eat what I advertise. Sure I eat Wheaties for breakfast. A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat.” -- Dizzy Dean
bluedog20175

Unread postby Shell » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:43 pm

bluedog20175 wrote:Might I suggest Catoctin Creek RoundStone Rye, a relative small batch newcomer but local here to Loudoun County (the first distillery here since Prohibition). It is certified kosher and organic. At about $39 per bottle it is pricey, but I like to support local efforts.

Previously, my rye of choice was Sazerac, but I have tried Ri from Jim Beam as a step ahead of their yellow label.

http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/products/roundstone

Thanks for the recommendation. I visit VA 3 to 4 times per year, and have been wanting to visit the distillery on one of the upcoming visits. I am looking forward to trying the Catoctin Creek RoundStone Rye.
Shell
Shell

Previous

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey