Hudson Manhattan Rye Whiskey -Tuthilltown Spirits

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Hudson Manhattan Rye Whiskey -Tuthilltown Spirits

Unread postby Mike » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:18 pm

I believe this New York product has been on the market for a good while now, but I just came across a bottle recently. It is not cheap whiskey at $49 for 350ml. I believe it is aged in small new oak charred casks and the label says it was aged for under 4 years. It is 92 proof.

The nose is full of nice grainy aromas with a distinct rye cast with its spice and fruit characteristics. The oak aromas seem slightly green but are quite pleasant. There is a bit of medicinal and gingery hints floating up too. Still the aromas are clean and crisp, nothing run amuck in this nose.

The taste has a full rye bite but is not harsh. It opens with some thick and rich barrel sweetness that quickly is overtaken by the rye grainy flavors and the quite warm spice. A very nice sip of whiskey with lots of character. I think in addition to being a good sip on its own, I think it would work well in a Sazerac.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Hudson Manhattan Rye Whiskey -Tuthilltown Spirits

Unread postby vince » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:15 am

I tried the Hudson "Baby Bourbon" (100% corn), the Manhattan Rye, the single malted barley and the four grain whiskey at the whiskyfest in Chicago. I liked the four grain and the rye the best. However, I do not think it supports the price they are asking. I much prefer Wild Turkey Rye for about 25% of the cost.

Having said that, it was interesting to taste and the people are very gracious.
vince

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey