Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameJohn E. Fitzgerald Larceny
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
Type
Alcohol content92 Proof
Availability US: Not Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 76496
Bottling Info

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2380, Created:20171017225942)
Purchased at:Walmart Kalamazoo,Michigan,USA
Purchased for:$24 US
Info on this bottle:John E. Fitzgerald Larceny....Very special small batch
Nose:Sweet...vanilla...caramel...candied fruit...
Taste:Caramel....Slight spiciness...Fruit(kind of an apple/pear thing going on...Oak...not much of an alcohol burn...
Finish:Sweet..Fading into slightly bitter and dry wood tannins at the back of the tongue with almost a tobacco flavour...
Overall:This was a gift from the significant other. I haven't seen it up here so, it was something I had heard about and wanted to try...If this was available at the LCBO I think it would be priced in the high 30/low 40 dollar range. It would definitely give the overpriced Makers Mark a good run for the money....

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Booger Red (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2370, Created:20160517035416)
Purchased at:Spec's - Ft Worth
Purchased for:$23
Info on this bottle:Very Small Batch
Nose:Vanilla and cookie dough
Taste:Sweet and rich, then a little more tart opening up to soft tannins
Finish:The tannins and oak then fade to more of a earthy and lightly sweet ending.
Overall:This is a new addition to my cabinet but one that I will buy again. I really like this bourbon and am curious if this will (after a few bottles) be a front runner for my new house pour. At this price point is beats many that once were in the same range but have now creeped up above the $30 range.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BlueGrass_BrownWater (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2358, Created:20151217013829) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Liquor Barn - Lexington
Purchased for:28.00
Info on this bottle:John E. Fitzgerald Larceny Very Special Small Batch
Nose:Floral (rose pedals?), weak caramel corn, ethanol lingers. Color is medium amber.
Taste:Caramel definitely carries through, moderate oak mid-run, some vanilla and maybe a little bit of cinnamon very early on. It is a surprisingly soft and smooth whiskey considering its proof. Mouth feel is smooth and rich but clears the pallet quickly.
Finish:The finish is dry, tannic and smooth but a little short.
Overall:A solid bourbon that is a fine choice for everyday sipping. Not as stringent as the nose might lead you to believe. A smooth and enjoyable whiskey at a very reasonable price.

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2319, Created:20141212102850)
Purchased at:Party Source
Purchased for:24.99
Nose:Vanilla, Oak, Subdued Caramel.
Taste:Starts sweet like a good wheater should. Drys after a bit. Nice viscocity. Nice mouth feel.
Finish:Medium finish slightly drying.
Overall:This is a very good bourbon and a welcome addition from Heaven Hill.

Review from AndyM (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2318, Created:20141206161248, Updated:20141206162442)
Purchased at:Binny's Chicago south loop
Purchased for:$20
Info on this bottle:Small batch
Nose:Strong vanilla, some cherry and oak. Very nice.
Taste:Sweet at first, vanilla or caramel. Then becomes slightly tart, like sour apple, but still sweet. Strong woody flavor throughout.
Finish:Smooth and sweet, oak and vanilla with some nice warmth but no burn. Vanilla becomes stronger in the back of the throat.
Overall:Possibly my new favorite bourbon. The effect of the aging is very apparent, it's got a nice viscosity and strong vanilla overtones. Smooth from start to finish; as noted by KettleOne, very easy to go through a bottle in a few days time. Mixes quite well but I'd be reluctant to do so since it tastes so good on its own. I will be picking up another bottle soon.

Review from jneyer05 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2259, Created:20131007211642)
Purchased at:Party Source
Nose:Strong vanilla and apples.
Taste:Very sweet candy and later a cinnamon/caramel taste. Buttery texture.
Finish:Quick smooth finish. Strong cinnamon and oaks. The sweetness still is present.
Overall:A very good wheated bourbon. Fairly complex. Strong vanilla and maple apple aroma. The taste is very sweet like candy but after about 5 seconds a spice develops and a cinnamon/caramel buttery taste enters. It finishes quick but smooth with the cinnamon and oak hints. A very enjoyable bourbon. A must try. It will give other bourbons of its type a run for their money.

Review from Photoqwest (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2208, Created:20130704235535)
Purchased at:Bevmo
Purchased for:$1.99 50ml
Nose:Sweet, hints of caramel and brown sugar with a little oak
Taste:Sweet to start, Caramel, apple, brown sugar, gives way to oak in the middle
Finish:Lingering oak in the finish, little bite and burn
Overall:I thought it was decent, especially for a first introduction. I personally like a little more spice, but overall not bad.

Review from Birdo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2148, Created:20130122112237) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Cox's Spirit in Louisville KY
Purchased for:$39.99/1.75litre, Plus a $20 mail-in rebate!!
Info on this bottle:Small Batch, some history garbage, attractive bottle
Nose:Smells sweet of vanilla and carmel.
Taste:Taste great of carmel, starts out sweet. Very smooth, reasonably complex, but lacks spice.
Finish:Great Heaven Hill mouth feel that I like, viscous and reasonably long. Finishes sort of dry and oaky.
Overall:Nice amber color suggest Larceny is properly aged. I don't know much about wheaters, but this stuff is real good, I'm thrilled. Will get more even without the rebate. It's a big risk buying a 1.75l blind, but it paid off, Larceny is good.

Review from Storcke (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2122, Created:20121022115130) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Beveridge Superstore, Columbus, GA
Purchased for:42.99/1.75, plus $20 rebate offer, 23.99/750 plus $10 rebate
Nose:Apple, caramel, a little butterscotch and cinnamon, oak. Very much like Weller 12-year.
Taste:Green apple and caramel, warm alcohol/spice/pepper glow, not burn. A little nutty, like maybe pecan. Nice semi-creamy smooth feel once the alcohol clears the tongue. Lacks the tart/bitter harshness of MM. More refined and varied flavors than Weller 12-yr, but not as rich and full-bodied.
Finish:Good flavor, a little spice burn, but not long--my one disappointment with this bourbon.
Overall:If Heaven Hill is trying to get some of the sub-$25 wheated market away from MM, this might do the trick. Much more subtle and refined flavors than MM, almost as good as MM46 but at half the price. I put it up near Weller 12-yr in this category. And with the $10/$20 rebate offer on your first two bottles, I strongly recommend you give it a try.

Review from KettleOne (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2112, Created:20120831190656, Updated:20120831190721)
Purchased at:NC ABC Store
Purchased for:25
Info on this bottle:Small Batch
Nose:This is a sweeter boubon from the get-go. It has a smell of cotton candy or carmel. I see the bourbonv says leather. I didn't get any rich, deep smell, but the smell is not unpleasant or weak.
Taste:Here is where I completely agree with bourbonv. I pick up a sweet fruit like apple and a little bit of spice like strong cinnamon or pepper. The mouth feel, like said above, again, is creamy and smooth. Chewy is an interesting description. I don't get that, I get a more creamy sweet taste that is perfectly balanced with a medium burn. Not an awful whisky like Blantons or Lee, but a balanced whisky that doesn't reflect its price at all or its newness to the market. I drank the bottle in three days. That good.
Finish:Finish is medium. Not what I'd prefer at all. But, considering the price and the ride to the finish, this whiskey is highly recommended. It doesn't suck like Henry McKenna which is mouthwash or cherry Niquil. This stuff is a good solid drink that is better than Eagle Rare 10, but not quite as good as Evan Williams Single Barrell. EWSB is better. That isn't to say this one is bad. Give it a try.
Overall:I like it and Id buy it again if EWSB wasn't on the shelf.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2101, Created:20120727183006) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Gift from Distillery
Purchased for:24.99 suggested retail
Info on this bottle:Small batch 6 to 10yo
Nose:Carmael and oak with a hint of fine leather or tobacco - I fluxuate between the two aromas. I think Jenny at work described it best as "warm and fuzzy candy".
Taste:Caramel and ripe apple and hazel nuts with some peppery spice and oak tannins. A very nice mouth feel - almost chewy with no alcohol burn but a nice warmth in the throat.
Finish:Starts sweet, but becomes a nice dry oak. Long lasting and pleasant.
Overall:I think this is going to be a hit for Heaven Hill. It is a very good bourbon made from 100 select barrels from 4th, 5th and 6th floors of the warehouses. It reminds me a lot of my old favorite Weller Centennial.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews