Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameHenry McKenna
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 42808
Bottling InfoBottled in Bond
Single Barrel
Events for this bottling:

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2376, Created:20170406200731)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:$33
Nose:Bit of oak, bit of pine, skosh of apple, touch of citrus......... in a way, almost antiseptic. Does not promise very much to me.
Taste:Something amiss here, not enough oak for a 10 YO. No rich flavors to cling to the mouth.
Finish:A bit of heat and mint.
Overall:A brother to Elijah Craig, with the same flaws to this old palate. Could it be the yeast? Not very bourbon like to me.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from KettleOne (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2115, Created:20120906041150)
Purchased at:NC ABC Durham
Purchased for:20
Nose:Sweet and a synthetic smell. Medicine.
Taste:Taste at first is sweet corn and vanilla but decends to cherry ny-quil. At first the apple, cherry taste was OK....but then after more sips you pick up something that makes it taste like cherry Halls.
Finish:Medium finish, some burn, but sweet. Too sweet for me.
Overall:Worst bourbon I have ever tasted since blantons. Two sweet messes...except this one tastes synthetic or mediciny.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonguyjapan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1291, Created:20080910053345)
Purchased at:Obu City, Japan
Purchased for:too much at 45.00
Info on this bottle:missing leather tag
Nose:Light and alcohol. Maybe some orange-something?
Taste:Straight- Wood, oak, a bit of rye, apple?

Rocks- Cosmetic taste, caramel, tannin.
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]
Straight- Gentle and cresecendo-like.

Rocks- Slight rye that goes to a gentle fade of a tea-like taste.
Overall:I had this bourbon about a year ago and I don't remember it to be as it is now.
So, I guess my taste has changed.
I remember it being better, or special, something that was definitely different than what I have now.
Bottom-line: if this costs you more than $20 something you're paying too much. For the money I paid I should have gotten something cheaper like Beam's Black and Buffalo Sharp or something.

Review from OldJack (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1208, Created:20080728203901) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Knollwood Liquor, Sherman, TX
Purchased for:$23.00
Info on this bottle:Barrel # 020. Barreled on 12/14/84
Nose:When poured: Vicks Vapo-rub. Yikes!

After 5 minutes: It smells almost exactly like Cherry Nyquil. (I sense a theme.)
Taste:A great bit of warmth and an oily coating, giving a sweet opening volley of dried plums followed by a seriously herbal second wave.
Finish:Long and smokey; but not your typical wood-char. I used to work in a craft store, and our dried floral section once caught fire. I've long remembered the smell of burning grapevine wreaths and eucalyptus branches. The finish of this bourbon comes as close to that sensation as anything I've ever encountered.
Overall:It is a joy to try something with a little history to it- distilled in the 80's, bottled in the 90's before the dreaded fire. And I can honestly say this is the most unique bourbon I've tried thus far. I'm not convinced that I like it yet, though I will tell you that this stuff makes for a seriously funky and interesting Mint Julep.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1182, Created:20080703011625) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Kappy's - Falmouth, MA / Cape Cod
Purchased for:$34
Info on this bottle:Henry McKenna - Single Barrel 10 Years - Barrel #387 on 12/29/1997
Nose:Eucalyptus, Evergreens, Pine Forest, Baby Powder, Mineral Oil, Old Apothecary Aromas, with a hint of Butterscotch and Earth - beneath a heavy yet sharp layer of Isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I am NOT joking - it is an identical match to rubbing alcohol.
Taste:Very hot, intense heat, borderline to harsh. The flavors are buried beneath dry Chilli Pepper with a residual sweetness. It shows no age, broken legs, and I think something went wrong in Bardstown.
Finish:Bone Dry, leaving me parched... this is an embarrassment to Bourbon.
Overall:Little to no redeeming value. Unbalanced and inferior. I have had much better Bourbon at less than half of this price, therefore - this could possibly be a distillation disaster. The bottle was boxed and in new condition. I am calling the store tomorrow and requesting a refund. Sorry folks... BB

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1088, Created:20080524092749, Updated:20080524092902)
Purchased at:Louisville
Purchased for:Not a lot
Info on this bottle:Distilled post-fire but pre-Bernheim
Nose:Oak, some mint, maple, alcohol
Taste:Nutty and even, not showing the high proof, toasty, with light corn notes.
Finish:Medium-long, fulsome, tangs subsisting.
Overall:High quality Heaven Hill whiskey that still shows the HH signature despite being made (under supervision) at another distillery. The old eucalyptus taste is gone, which is a plus. It reminds me of EWSB bourbon from 1997-1998. It does not have any hint of the Beam anise and so while probably distilled at Beam I would think the HH mashbill and yeast were used. Fine product that was never better in the past.

Review from EJPH (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1081, Created:20080511144814) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Binnys- St. Charles, IL
Purchased for:$27.99
Info on this bottle:Barrel #317
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:Heavy alcohol seems to drown out any noticeable scent. Fresh cut hay perhaps.
Taste:Mild beginning with a powerful burn that fizzels out quickly and warms the throat
Finish:Dry, fresh cut hay.
Overall:Did not care for it neat. Had nothing to offer. Added some ice to it and it turned into a campfire with marshmellows. This will be the only way I will drink this Bourbon and will enjoy every drop.

Review from abcgroup (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 849, Created:20071007182446)
Purchased at:ABC Liquors, Asheville, NC
Purchased for:25.99
Info on this bottle:Barrel 345, barreled on 5/20/96
Nose:Caramel and leather...roasted pecans or candied nuts.
Taste:Sweet upfront...very sweet. Then it gets leathery and over the sweet (which is hard to overcome) is the very familiar taste of Rowan's Creek. This is almost like a really sweet version of RW.
Finish:No deep burn at all. 100 proof has it slightly smooth (for a bourbon) and medium bodied finish. Definite linger, heavy leather tones.
Overall:Oh man...I don't know. This is okay, but it is entirely too sweet. The sweetness isn't caramel(y) it's more of a pecan pie sweet. It's too much for my palate. It's not bad but the sugary sweetness is too dense for me. I'm glad I tried it but wish I only bought a glass, rather than the bottle.

Review from JoeBourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 583, Created:20060831160250)
Purchased at:Kentucky
Purchased for:??????
Info on this bottle:Barrel 255, Barreled 3/16/94
Nose:Classic bourbon nose. Nothing specific jumps out but no objectionable congeners present.
Taste:Slightly sweet on the front end. Light mint, vanilla, faint caramel. Not overly alcoholic. Somewhat complex. Very pleasant.
Finish:Moderate length. Finishes better than many mid-shelf bourbons including those from Heaven Hill.
Overall:A very nice mid-shelf pour from Heaven Hill. In my opinion it is superior to EWSB. Goes well with a Hounduran Maduro cigar. I like this whiskey.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 535, Created:20060711110536, Updated:20060711111301)
Purchased at:Providenec, R.I.
Purchased for:$33.00
Info on this bottle:Barrel 278, barreled in June 1994
Nose:Quite light, I had to shake the bottle to rouse a nose, and then just light ethanol and smoke emerged
Taste:Despite the pallid promise of the nose, the taste is extremely good. Very rich and full and soft in the palate, very little alcohol burn. The trademark HH eucalyptus is only a little in evidence and lends gratifying complexity. A complex, even elegant drink yet showing pleasing purity and unity from the one barrel.
Finish:Not that long or pronounced, most of the taste is in the swallow. The years tread lightly on this one and that affects the finish. I don't think by the way good bourbon should necessarily show a long finish.
Overall:This bottle shows how good Heaven Hill can get. Everything has to click though and it sure does in this sample. A fine rich bourbon whose quality is faultless.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 396, Created:20060318061806) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:8.00
Info on this bottle:Bottle from barrel #244
Nose:Caramel and fine leather with floral tones and ginger spice.
Taste:Caramel and spice - pepper and ginger, with some alcohol burn.
Finish:Starts sweet but quickly changes to a nice oak wood finish.
Overall:Good on the rocks or in a nice cocktail such as an old fashioned or manhattn.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews