Comments on Kendall's review of Van Winkle Special Reserve L

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Kendall's review of Van Winkle Special Reserve L

Unread postby forumadmin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:07 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Kendall's review of Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B 12 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby TNbourbon » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:07 pm

I suspect Lot B is a victim of "guilt by generation" -- those of us who enjoyed it when it was Stitzel-Weller (pre-2005) will remember the former version more positively. For example, I've never bought a version that might be from Bernheim stocks -- I've tasted it several times that way, and I KNOW that it is more tannic, oaky and astringent than the former S-W version, of which I still have a modicum (or two!). That said, the current edition is, frankly, probably better than 75% (or more) of available bourbons in the same price range. Ah, price range -- that's another problem. It seems it's $10-$12 higher than it used to be. Probably worth it if you've never had it. Probably worth it, period. But -- again -- not worth it if you're comparing it to former Stitzel-Weller Lot B. What to do, what to do?
TNbourbon

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:34 am

Like you Tim, all my Lot-B is Stitzel Weller and I hesitate to buy the new stuff. Maybe, after I drink this stuff all up and I forget it's taste profile (nearly impossible), I'll but the Bernheim.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion