Comments on uncas67`s review of Evan Williams 1783

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on uncas67`s review of Evan Williams 1783

Unread postby forumadmin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:52 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about uncas67's review of Evan Williams 1783.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Eggman » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:52 am

I recently had my first bottle of this affordable Bourbon. While it lacks complexity, it is smooth and reminds one of Popcorn that's been drizzled with caramel and melted butter. The Honda Civic of Bourbons!
Eggman

Re: Comments on uncas67`s review of Evan Williams 1783

Unread postby Jim Bean Ray » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:23 pm

I'm a Bourbon and Coke drinker and I switched to Diet Coke a few years back and the problem was it dramatically made the bourbon/coke mix TOO SWEET! It was very bad with all my favorite bourbons. Then one day I got a cold and medicated myself with some Evan Williams/diet coke/lemon/honey. I noticed a difference in the Even/Diet being less sweet. I went back to my corner store and asked the veteran there if he had any recommendations over Evan Williams and he said 1783. I looked at the bottle and first off it was in GLASS for $1.00 more than a 5th of Evan Williams in PLASTIC and it was 3% higher in alcohol. I bought a 5th and the rest is history. This is by far the best bourbon I ever mixed with Diet Coke. You completely forget it is DIET COKE you are drinking!

Here is the SECRET to making it taste right: You need a 10 ounce glass. Fill it 2/3rds way with ice (square cubes work best). Poor 3 ounces of 1783 over the ice and SHAKE it. The bourbon will almost make it to the top of the ice. Top off the glass with a little Diet Coke. You end up with about 3 ounces of 1783, 3 ounces of ice, and 3 ounces of Diet coke. It goes down so good you will want to guzzle it.

If you poor the diet coke first and then add the bourbon it TOTALLY screws up the taste (too sweet and FLAT!). Mixing the ice/bourbon first and then slowly adding the DC over the top will provide a VERY crisp burn that is refreshing and does not linger.
Jim Bean Ray

Unread postby Squire » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Good move, adding the cola first diminished the sharpness of the soda, kills the bubbles for me.
Squire

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:19 pm

Jim Bean Ray wrote:I'm a Bourbon and Coke drinker and I switched to Diet Coke a few years back and the problem was it dramatically made the bourbon/coke mix TOO SWEET! It was very bad with all my favorite bourbons. Then one day I got a cold and medicated myself with some Evan Williams/diet coke/lemon/honey. I noticed a difference in the Even/Diet being less sweet. I went back to my corner store and asked the veteran there if he had any recommendations over Evan Williams and he said 1783. I looked at the bottle and first off it was in GLASS for $1.00 more than a 5th of Evan Williams in PLASTIC and it was 3% higher in alcohol. I bought a 5th and the rest is history. This is by far the best bourbon I ever mixed with Diet Coke. You completely forget it is DIET COKE you are drinking!

Here is the SECRET to making it taste right: You need a 10 ounce glass. Fill it 2/3rds way with ice (square cubes work best). Poor 3 ounces of 1783 over the ice and SHAKE it. The bourbon will almost make it to the top of the ice. Top off the glass with a little Diet Coke. You end up with about 3 ounces of 1783, 3 ounces of ice, and 3 ounces of Diet coke. It goes down so good you will want to guzzle it.

If you poor the diet coke first and then add the bourbon it TOTALLY screws up the taste (too sweet and FLAT!). Mixing the ice/bourbon first and then slowly adding the DC over the top will provide a VERY crisp burn that is refreshing and does not linger.

Sounds pretty good. I'm gonna try it.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion