Comments on TNbourbon's review of Very Old Fitzgerald 8 year

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on TNbourbon's review of Very Old Fitzgerald 8 year

Unread postby forumadmin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:31 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about TNbourbon's review of Very Old Fitzgerald 8 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:31 pm

Excellent review Tim. You have a marvelous way with words that turns the drinking of bourbon into a memorable adventure. And, the fact that you are sharing such a prize with other bourbon friends puts you in the front row of bourbon lovers...........those who share!

Sure makes me want to have a sip. Have you compared it to the now defunct 8 YO 1849, a favorite of mine (I laid back a couple of bottles of this very good whiskey while I could). I am having a sip of 8 YO 1849 at this very moment alongside the Old Fitz BIB that is Stitzel-Weller (as Mike Veach was kind enough to inform me). The Old Ftiz BIB is more robust and can sing a more lively tune, but all both are very good.

Tim, you are a lucky man...........so many friends...........and so much good whiskey!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby TNbourbon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Kind words, Mike, are always appreciated -- especially from such a Flannery-ish reviewer as yourself.
I've had and enjoyed the 8yo Old Fitz 1849, though no longer have a bottle in hand. As best I can remember, it would be 'thinner' by far than the older Old Fitz. Which is not to say that the 1849 is anything but very nice -- rather, that the VOF has exceptionally rich depth.
Attachments
VOF81956_64_2.jpg
VOF81956_64_2.jpg (109.19 KiB) Viewed 5985 times
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:02 pm

The Old Fitz BIB that I have is also richer than the 1849 and has more backbone..................still, it will not be I who is giving away the 1849.......but sharing, well that is another matter altogether!

Bourbon, like life, cannot be hoarded, it is at its best only when shared and consumed!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks for the review Tim! It sure sounds like a great bourbon. I don't believe I've had the pleasure of tasting this, but have enjoyed the Very Very Old Fitz, which was awesome. Have you had the VVOF? If so, how would you compare the 2?
Bob
Brewer

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion