Comments on Mike's review of Basil Haydens 8 year old

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Mike's review of Basil Haydens 8 year old

Unread postby forumadmin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:44 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Mike's review of Basil Haydens 8 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:44 am

I'd have to completely agree with your review Mike. I have had BH only a couple of times and was totally unimpressed each time. Just about anything at a lower price point is better than this over-priced, under-charactered bourbon.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:29 am

Mike seems to have a split personality on Basil Hayden with one review being fairly positive and the other reflecting a bit of disappointment in the product. Maybe Mike will clarify a little for us as to why the differences in the reviews. Was it because the product changed or has his taste changed? Or maybe he has simply become more experienced with a variety of products and his expectations have changed?
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:59 am

bourbonv wrote:Mike seems to have a split personality on Basil Hayden with one review being fairly positive and the other reflecting a bit of disappointment in the product. Maybe Mike will clarify a little for us as to why the differences in the reviews. Was it because the product changed or has his taste changed? Or maybe he has simply become more experienced with a variety of products and his expectations have changed?

I expect my tastes have changed in bourbon......although this was a different bottle altogether. I looked at what Spirit Journal said about BH and I have to wonder did they really taste this bourbon? I just found it to be 'lifeless'.

Also, Mike, I feel under no obligation to be consistent (I am sure you agree with that sentiment) in re-reviewing bourbons. One reason I have started re-reviewing some bourbons is to see if my tastes have changed over this year and a half.

Still, I think most of my re-reviews are quite consistent with those of an earlier time. I try to avoid looking at previous reviews if I am doing a re-review so as not to bias myself one way or t'other.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:23 pm

Mike,
I agree it is always good to go back and to re-visit a bourbon from time to time. The reviews may not be consistant because sometimes the flavor profile will change - sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. Other times taste buds will change causing a change in the review. The point is there are lots of good reasons to take a second look at a bourbon. My favorite is because I'm thirsty.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Yusef » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:11 pm

Mike: You broke my heart. I enjoy Basil Hayden and I'm 6' 6", 285 pounds and I ain't never had enough of nothing.

It's a lot easier to tell a person what you're against -- than it is to tell them what you are for. Instead of simply attacking Basil Hayden, tell us what you like and why?

Yusef
"What good does it do to win the argument -- if you lose the person?"
MRK
Yusef

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:58 am

I like Basil Hayden's -- at half the price! The next time I pay $40 for an 80-proof version of Old Grand-Dad will be the first time.
Jim Beam is trying to snooker us, in short. Sorry to learn they've succeeded.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mike » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:26 am

Yusef wrote:Mike: You broke my heart. I enjoy Basil Hayden and I'm 6' 6", 285 pounds and I ain't never had enough of nothing.

It's a lot easier to tell a person what you're against -- than it is to tell them what you are for. Instead of simply attacking Basil Hayden, tell us what you like and why?

Yusef

But Yusef, I didn't mean nobody no harm. I have done somewhere near 180 reviews on BE (some would no doubt say way too many), so I thought I was saying what I like and don't like.

I thought I DID explain why I don't care for BH. That you like it is just fine and if you don't care for the stronger and more robust bourbons (which are much more flavorful to my palate) is also fine. I have a dear friend who has a great palate who likes his steaks well done........a waste of good meat as far as I am concerned........but that is his taste and his perogative.

I have lots of opinions on lots of subjects and as 'opinions' not a one of them is sacred and some of them I would have a hard time defending.......so I often see no need to even try.

Stick around for a year or two on BE and try some different bourbons. Maybe you will find, like some of us here, that your taste is changing right out from under you.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion