Comments on Photoqwest`s review of Jack Daniels Black

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Photoqwest`s review of Jack Daniels Black

Unread postby forumadmin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Photoqwest's review of Jack Daniels Black.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby MartyV » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Jack sucks and doesn't even belong on a real bourbon website. The entry level, mainstream...I drink it to be cool whiskey. Garbage.
MartyV

Re: Comments on Photoqwest`s review of Jack Daniels Black

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:41 pm

I don't seek out regular Jack Daniels, as opposed to the Single Barrel expression which I and some others here find excellent, but I can enjoy Jack Black, with Coke or not. It has a pronounced flavor but avoids the "corn oil" taste a lot of cheap bourbon has. Jack has been discussed here, and other bourbon forums, for many years. Like George Dickel, it undergoes a preliminary filtration through maple charcoal, apart from that it is manufactured the same way bourbon is. In fact for a time it was called bourbon on the label, before WW II at some point. Certainly it's fair ball not to like it, but just a point of information that some here are interested in the whiskey, which has a rich history.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Ettore » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Gary said it well.
Ettore

Re:

Unread postby sggladden » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:25 pm

MartyV wrote:Jack sucks and doesn't even belong on a real bourbon website. The entry level, mainstream...I drink it to be cool whiskey. Garbage.

Wrong. I am cool and I choose the drink it :D

Seriously I choose to drink all varieties of Jack Daniels from time to time because they have a very unique flavor that I enjoy. I find that a bottle of the black is a good bargain when it's on sale for under $20. It's just a simple drink that one can kick back and enjoy on the rocks. It's highly accessible and something you can always count on being available at a bar.

A good lesson to learn is price, perception and exclusivity really don't make one bourbon/Tennessee Whiskey better or worse. Ultimately it's all about personal taste and what we are after in a drink. Just because I enjoy a more refined complex bourbon doesn't mean I'm not allowed to enjoy the simple pleasures of a less refined mainstream beverage.

The comments that trash JD seem to suffer from a false notion that the success of the brand somehow causes harm to the brands they prefer. In actuality Jack Daniels has probably introduced many a bourbon enthusiast to whiskey and encouraged several of us to further explore American Whiskey and Bourbon. It was pretty much a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel that got me started as a bourbon drinker.

If you don't like JD, why not elaborate what flavor aspects about it that turn you off and give examples of bourbons you do like. These kind of critiques are useful and often I'll look for someone with similar likes and dislikes to help me narrow down where to focus my limited resources for sampling new bourbon. Trashing a whiskey blindly comes across as snobbish in my book. I would never claim that my sense of taste is better than someone else's and when I run across a bourbon I don't like I don't blindly assume no one else should like it. Now sometimes bad is bad but to call a product that is legitimately crafted with a high degree of quality and care "garbage" is highly insulting to not only those that produce it but those who enjoy it.
sggladden

Unread postby Ettore » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:36 pm

What excellent responses!

I too feel that it is unwise to dismiss an entire distillery because of the large popularity of their basic product. There is a time and place for everything and I certainly feel that their higher-range products have much to offer.

I think it is fine to hate war or violence or animal abuse but to hate a whiskey or a distillery is foolish. If I don't like something I simply don't buy it. I won't waste my breath or ink (or pixels) talking about my dislikes. Life is too short! Now, where in my cabinet is that fine bottle of JD single barrel?
Ettore

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion