Comments on gillmang`s review of Jack Daniels Silver Select

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on gillmang`s review of Jack Daniels Silver Select

Unread postby forumadmin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about gillmang's review of Jack Daniels Silver Select.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Gary, because I respect your discerning palate, which seems to be somewhat different (and most likely superior to mine), I bought what I think might be a domestic version of the Silver Select (reportedly unavailable in the US under that label) and have reviewed it today. I found it to be way better than good.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Comments on gillmang`s review of Jack Daniels Silver Sel

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks Mike, I reviewed your notes with great interest. I think yours truly, John L, Dr. Octerlony, Dr. Chayfetz, M. Veach and, if pressed (or caught in a reflective or possibly furtive moment), Geo. W. Bain, would have concurred in the excellence of the bottle you reviewed.

And too I must say I find your taste notes very similar to mine in relation to Silver Select. (And very well limned, no need for any modesty please).

I didn't know a 100 proof Jack Daniels was available domestically. The cherryish palate suggested to me by my occasional sallies into the hard-to-access Silver Select bottlings seems no less evident in the rare 100 proof JD you have accessed Stateside. At the same time, it suggests to me that despite what eminent voices have said, 100 proof JD is selected with a view to a palate different from regular JD Single Barrel.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:53 pm

What I bought, Gary, was the 2011 Holiday release. The 2012 release is on the shelf at 'my' liquor store......... sorely tempted am I to get that bottle post haste....... to see if that 'cherry' flavor is so evident in that release. I could see some folks finding it too far off the track for American Whiskey.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:21 am

The cherry thing seems a recurring motif: a review on the LA Whiskey Society's website mentions cherry three times. It could be a trait ((intentionally picked), or perhaps just a coincidence, I don't know.

I wouldn't say 100 proof JD is out of the mainstream of U.S. whiskey though, but rather that it is one expression of it. On the light side, yes, due to Jack Daniel undergoing its initial filtration in maple charcoal. Possibly too since alcohol is lighter than water, you get a lighter body the higher in proof you go although the regular SBs are mostly pretty sturdy, so maybe not: I suspect it is all a matter of selection.

Anyway, I like the profile. You don't always want a heavy thick taste in whiskey, sometimes something light and elegant on the tongue - elegant being relative here - suits the moment. It is similar for certain brandies, e.g. I've always found some very light and "neutral", while others are syrupy and rich.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby besticm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:24 am

any health drinks available in whiskey how to drink ? what are the benefits of whiskey compare to other alchocol products..

Regards,
ICMPacknMove,
packers and movers in delhi
besticm

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion