Two Historic Distilleries Are Threatened

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:32 am

Can the wood and bricks salvaged fron the demolition be reused? If so what types of uses?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby BSS » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:53 am

I don't know about the bricks, but the wood will be used. They are taking this warehouse down with the sole purpose of getting the wood from it. There are many places that sell salvaged wood, and it's worth a lot of money. You can build houses, barns, ect from it. The quality of this wood is probably much much better than anything you can buy now days. You can see in the picture how they have it neatly stacked and covered. They have stacks like that in 3 different parking lots around there, and they have already hauled most of it away.

I would guess the bricks may not be worth the time to clean. That would be a task in itself.
BSS

Unread postby Mark » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:14 pm

At least something will get reused from the salvage... What a shame.

You are on the money though about them getting a lot of money for the old wood and it being better than alot of what is available today. I saw a show on (I think it was on) Discovery about this company that actually dives for trees deep down in lakes etc. They lift them up, clean then cut them etc and then use them for expensive wood flooring. Some varieties are ones that are very hard to find nowadays and because of their locations really lend a different pattern/color to the flooring. I forgbot where the place was located but they had a showroom showcasing all the types that they typically salvage. Pretty interesting actually...
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby BSS » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:10 pm

I saw the same show Mark. This is becoming big business in many places.
BSS

Unread postby jbohan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:27 am

They passed a law here in Georgia to allow people to get the trees from the bottom of rivers. Nobody has really done it yet because it costs more to get them than they are worth.

It breaks my heart to see them taking this buildings down. Shame on the company who wants this to happen.
:angryfire: :banghead:
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:35 am

When the Maxwell Street neighborhood here in Chicago was demolished, I saw many examples of "vintage" bricks bundled up for resale/reuse. The reports I've gotten of what they are doing at Taylor/Crow doesn't indicate they are bundling the brick, but maybe they're just not that far along yet.

I have been led to believe from some sources that the new owners of Taylor do intend to preserve and reuse in some way some of the buildings, such as the "castle," but this is all pretty vague at this point, at least in terms of what has filtered through to me.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:35 pm

I wonder if it is the same firm that has been tearing down the Hill and Hill warehouses off Berheim Lane. That distillery has both iron clad and brick warehouses and the company has been salvaging the wood and the brick from the brick warehouses. Those brick warehouses were built in the 30's and had a nice art-deco design.

Florida Distillers also tore down and recycled most of the warehouses at the Yellowstone distillery when they acquired it in the 1990's.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby jbohan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:02 pm

No news on the status of the Old Taylor distillery for almost a year on this thread. Can somebody give us an update ?
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Re: Two Historic Distilleries Are Threatened

Unread postby ReconMarine » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:10 am

Community

As I am new here (for no other purpose than the google I did about the Old Taylor Distillery) I wanted to give an educated update on this thread for you all.

First the "reclamation" Is being, or has been berformed by heartpinereserve. They are in fact reclaiming the brick, limestone, and old growth hardwoods from the Old Crow, and Old Taylor distilleries. The reclamation has ceased for the time being at both locations, but there are intentions of continued work in the future. heartpine owns the Old Crow property, and has in fact posted signage to identify it.

However the work at Old Taylor is not as in depth since the removal of the warehouse on the North side of the road. Also as I know from the progress of the thread you know the owner of what was "Old Castle Properties" did in fact pass away, and there has been no activity on the site for any restoration in years.

There is a man who leases a building from the new owners and he operates a woodworking shop, and has for several years. He makes custom wood products from the various woods, minerals, and sediments that became by products of the distiling process. He specifically makes custom ink pens, from various woods and even the sour mash that has been reclaimed as well.

I have some new photos that I will post of the site in a few days to add to this update.

Semper Fi
ReconMarine

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Put on your ears, and get ready......

She's a brick....

HOUSE!

horn section = bada bap bah DA DA

She lettin' it all hang out!

horn section = La Da Da Bah Blah Blah!

Well she's a BRICK...

House!

She MIGHTY, MIGHTY!

jus lettin' it all hang out!
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm

If I can translate for Linn, what he said was: "thank you for the informative update. We look forward to your next report."
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:53 pm

cowdery wrote:If I can translate for Linn, what he said was: "thank you for the informative update. We look forward to your next report."

Thank you Charles, that is exactly what I ment to say.

:arrow: Linn :angel7:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Abandoned Kentucky » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Hello, I have had a fascination with abandoned distillery's for along time and have spent a lot of time in the James E Pepper distillery and Old Taylor.. I just recently started taking amateur photographs of these places and they can be seen here :
http://abandonedkentucky.deviantart.com/ that is what the distillery looks like today.... I also know someone who works here http://heartpinereserve.com/distillery_history_pg.html and the wood is in fact used for hardwood flooring...the site also has brick and limestone for sell.... I plan to spend many weekends photographing this Distillery ..as well as others..my site http://www.abandonedkentucky.com/ will be up fairly soon and will have a lot of pics of distillery's on it... I love these old places..I do NOT what to see them destroyed...
Abandoned Kentucky

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:14 pm

Pine can't be used for hardwood flooring since it's not hardwood. :)
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby RobotAZ » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:21 pm

cowdery wrote:Pine can't be used for hardwood flooring since it's not hardwood. :)

Reminds me of all of the morons in Arizona where I lived in the mountains who burned pine in their fireplaces and then stood around crying like jackasses when their houses burned down from the sap catching fire in the chimney.

United we stand, divided we fall.

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon Lore