1872 at the OFC Distillery

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

1872 at the OFC Distillery

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:01 pm

I have been sorting papers from the year 1872 dealing with the OFC distillery in Frankfort (Now known as the Buffalo Trace Distillery) in the Taylor-Hay Family papers. This is mostly receipts and such but there are some interesting items. There are shipping receipts for 8 hoop barrels, corn, both shelled and on the cob, rye and malt. There are many receipts for cords of wood (it was the Old Fire Copper distillery). They were also purchasing their yeast from a local brewery. I have also found many receipts for Taylor's pants. I have to wonder if he had the same problem as Linn with keeping his pants on when tasting good bourbon.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:59 pm

Professor Veach, A Man Needs New Pants From Time To Time. Col. E. H. Taylor, Jr. is no different.

From whom did he order his pants??? And what was his waist size and inseam? From the photos I've seen, he looks to be a 42X28 man to me.

Two inches taller than John Lipmann and ten waist inches slimmer.

Don't blame me. I didn't revise this history!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
Last edited by bunghole on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:42 pm

Taylor was known to be a well dressed man. After all he was a distillery owner, a banker and a politician. The thing is that the receipts for pants out number the receipts for other articles of clothing about 6 to 1. Sorry Linn, no sizes are given.

Another letter that was interesting in the collection was from A Labrot of Cincinnati who sent a letter wanting Taylor to make good on a barrel of whiskey. It was one of fifty bought by Labrot and the customer complained of its quality. The whiskey was black as ink and when they opened the barrel the head had been repaired by the cooper with leather and four nails. The iron in the nails turned the whiskey black.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Lore