Comments on bourbonv`s review of Angel's Envy Cask Strength

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on bourbonv`s review of Angel's Envy Cask Strength

Unread postby forumadmin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:14 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about bourbonv's review of Angel's Envy Cask Strength.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Comments on bourbonv`s review of Angel's Envy Cask Stren

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:23 pm

There is the price. It is expensive at $149 a bottle but there is some justification. At 123.7 proof, the taxes are 23.7 percent higher than a 100 proof product. The package is very nice and the wooden box is the best I have seen with an American whiskey. It is scarce with only 600 bottles produced. And there is an invitation to a special event with Lincoln Henderson as well and time spent with Lincoln is worth quite a bit. I have heard people complain because it is only a 5 year old bourbon aged for another 28 months in Port wine casks that it is too young to be worth that. I say older is not necessarily better and should not be the only ruler to measure price. This is a unique product that does deserve some leeway. Lincoln and family are not a major distillery and the cost of the 5 year old whiskey is going to be greater for them than say Diageo or Buffalo Trace so their expenses are higher. If you want to see the smaller companies do this type of whiskey then you should expect the price to be higher. I fully expect that they will sell all 600 bottles and I say good for them.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:37 pm

bourbonv wrote:There is the price. It is expensive at $149 a bottle but there is some justification. At 123.7 proof, the taxes are 23.7 percent higher than a 100 proof product. The package is very nice and the wooden box is the best I have seen with an American whiskey. It is scarce with only 600 bottles produced. And there is an invitation to a special event with Lincoln Henderson as well and time spent with Lincoln is worth quite a bit. I have heard people complain because it is only a 5 year old bourbon aged for another 28 months in Port wine casks that it is too young to be worth that. I say older is not necessarily better and should not be the only ruler to measure price. This is a unique product that does deserve some leeway. Lincoln and family are not a major distillery and the cost of the 5 year old whiskey is going to be greater for them than say Diageo or Buffalo Trace so their expenses are higher. If you want to see the smaller companies do this type of whiskey then you should expect the price to be higher. I fully expect that they will sell all 600 bottles and I say good for them.

Some time ago (at a BE get together) you offered me a sample of, at that time new, Angel's Envy. I was dubious about the idea, but bought a bottle and have very much enjoyed it. If it comes available here, because I respect your opinons so very much, I will get a bottle. Thanks for the review!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:19 pm

bourbonv wrote: I fully expect that they will sell all 600 bottles and I say good for them.

But I will not be one of them. I'm tiring of high bourbon prices. Lot's of good stuff much cheaper.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:
bourbonv wrote: I fully expect that they will sell all 600 bottles and I say good for them.

But I will not be one of them. I'm tiring of high bourbon prices. Lot's of good stuff much cheaper.
Joe

No GOOD argument from me, Joe............. but bourbon is more than my hobby and me wife and I are well fed....... and I give money to charity and probably too much to me children and grandchildren.......... and, I did not buy that Mustang I wanted!! Ah, Joe, I am wasteful!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby vince » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 am

Wes and Kyle came to my Owensboro Bourbon Society meeting this past April and brought some of this with them. It was fabulous!! I have been lucky enough to purchase two bottles, one is for me and the other will be shared with my bourbon society members in January.

I agree with Mike's post (Veach). The Hendersons are doing something that I feel is very interesting and worthwhile. I believe they are coming out with a rye finished in a rum cask next year. In addition, they are really fine people who are respectful and accomodating. To me, this is one of the top 5 bourbons I have tasted. I certainly realize that some will not agree with that statement. However, the cask strength offering of this whiskey far exceeds the standard Angels Envy which is on the market today (dont get me wrong, I like the standard offering but the cask strength blows it away).
vince

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29 am

Joe,
I agree that there are a lot good bourbons that are cheaper. I just want to point out that the Hendersons are in this business for the same reason everyone else is in the business - to make money. If they quit making money they go out of business. I do think that they have done a decent job in making the price of the Cask Strength Angel's Envy worth it and I particularly like the invitation to an event with Lincoln. I am not sure that adds much value to someone in Pennsylvania like yourself, but it does add value to those in Kentucky. I give them some credit for trying.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby conecuhridge » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks to Mike for a very insightful review, and a special thank you to the other members of the group who have commented as well.

As I have said on previous occasions, we are amazed and blessed with the support received for Angel's Envy, and we feel the cask strength, which may not be for everyone, is a unique addition to the bourbon world. To that end, any and all comments and observations are very welcome.

I know it is difficult to get, but I have earmarked a special allocation for The Party Source in Bellevue, KY and their on-line department. This way, my friends located outside of KY and TN can place an order.

Best,

Wes
conecuhridge

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:43 pm

You are welcome Wes. I am sorry I did not like it better, but I do prefer the stronger bourbon flavor of the standard version of Angel's Envy. Now if you came out with a cask strength version of the bourbon without the port wine...
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion