Bourbon Preservation

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon Preservation

Unread postby UrDrewness » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi All -

I've found this forum a few weeks ago and have been lurking around. I appreciate the great insights on Bourbon, and I have found a number of interesting Bourbon's to try based on user recommendations.

I couldn't find anything on this subject on this forum, but I am curious if any of you have any experience with it.

Does anyone use any type of available vacuum seal products intended for wine, to preserve Bourbon for longer periods after it's open? For instance:
http://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-0981450- ... B000GA3KCE

There are some fancier ones which are electronic and provide information around how long the bottle has been open, and the amount of air in it. While open Bourbon lasts much longer than wine, I am curious if any of these devices might help especially when a bottle is more than half empty.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Andrew
UrDrewness

Re: Bourbon Preservation

Unread postby PaulO » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Have you considered decanting it into smaller bottles?
PaulO

Unread postby MauiSon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:11 pm

I don't know if you've read these types of discussions, but it's not unusual to hear of enthusiasts opening a new bottle and pouring half into an empty bottle (making 2 half-empty bottles), so that both can 'breathe' for a period of time. In other words, some bourbons may improve through contact with air. Testing different techniques for personal pleasure optimization is recommended. I like to pour sample bottles from a newly opened 'first taste' bottle, so I can compare the 'fresh' bourbon with the dregs later on. If you have discovered through testing that a particular bourbon declines with exposure, you can easily use smaller bottles to maintain that 'fresh' taste, as previously mentioned. Another advantage of rebottling is that some bottles do not pour cleanly, corks can affect flavor, shape can be cumbersome.
MauiSon

Unread postby gauze » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:57 am

I just let nature take its course, however I like the idea of a smaller bottle to keep something fresh if you find it to not oxidize well.
gauze

Return to Bourbon, Straight