Gibson's Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Gibson's Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Unread postby Southerngirl777 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:58 pm

I have a 4/5 quart bottle of, "Gibson's Straight Bourbon Whiskey, 8 years old." I purchased this bottle about 10 years ago. Since that time I have been looking (off and on) for info about the maker and the value (if any) of this bottle. It has never been opened, but has lost some volume. I cannot find anything out about this company. What little I did find, I found on your site. It seems this company has gone through a few hands. I also recently purchased the print ad that is shown in my photo. The ad is from, "The New Yorker", and has a copyright year of 1950 printed at the bottom. If anyone has any info on this bottle, please let me know........Thanks!
Attachments
IMAG2709.jpg
Both sides of the bottle have this rose
IMAG2709.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
IMAG2694.jpg
The volume of the contents is even to the black line on the label.
IMAG2694.jpg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
Southerngirl777

Re: Gibson's Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Unread postby Southerngirl777 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Has anyone even heard of this whiskey before? My inquiry is not for selling purposes. I could have sold it or let friends drink it years ago. I keep this bottle displayed and am often asked about it. I can't give any info, because I have none. It helps to know what you have and what if anything it's worth. All my collections will one day (hopefully much later) belong to my children. I would like for them to be aware of the value of my things. I make it a habit to keep receipts and appraisals for that purpose. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any information on this bottle of whiskey. Finally, what is the best way to display whiskey to keep the volume from evaporating?
Thanks
Southerngirl777

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:58 pm

I have not heard of this brand so I cannot value it for you. The best way to store it is vertical, in a cool, dark place. Putting parafilm over the top may inhibit evaporation.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Southerngirl777 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 am

Thanks Joe, I will look into getting the parafilm for the top.
Southerngirl777

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Did you try the search function of the site? If you type in Gibson you will find many posts including this one: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1813&p=6305&hilit=gibson#p6305
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Southerngirl777 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:24 pm

bourbonv wrote:Did you try the search function of the site? If you type in Gibson you will find many posts including this one: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1813&p=6305&hilit=gibson#p6305

Thanks for the reply. I did read the posts concerning Gibson's, but because I am novice it was a bit confusing. This article applied more to what I have,

1950 - Schenley introduces a line of 8 year old whiskeys
including Gibson straight rye and bourbon (1950
Schenley Annual Report).

The bottle I have has no mention of Schenley, it states it was bottled at the Gibson Distillery in Louisville Kentucky. It has a 40 cent Tennessee tax sticker on it. Finally, is this bourbon actually ok to drink?
Thanks
Southerngirl777

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:08 pm

If the whiskey bottle has a good fill level and is not cloudy, It should be good to drink. Schenley owned the brand and later made it into a Canadian brand, discontinuing the bourbon and rye versions of the whiskey. this was in the 1950s. Your bottle looks to be a post prohibition, 1930s era bottle.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Southerngirl777 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 pm

There's no way to tell without opening it what color the whiskey is. The bottle is so dark, the whiskey actually looks red under the light. It sure does smell good though.......lol If you notice the ad behind the bottle, it is the same exact bottle, but is dated 1950. That is what lead me to believe the bottle was from that era. I'm just asking for an opinion now, but was Gibson's a good bourbon. From the litle I've read no one really touches on the taste.
Southerngirl777

Unread postby Brad555 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:16 am

Not the only reason it ain't bourbon.... Not sure if they use new barrels and some of the other minor things. Plus the whole charcoal filtering thing.

But anyway, there are some great Japanese whiskys out there that are pretty readily available. Although, I've seen a couple that command a high price for no apparent reason. I like that they tend to steer away from the peaty notes and stay with the smokey tones (at least the few I've messed with).
Brad555

Unread postby EllenJ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm

I sent this link to a friend who is VERY interested in all things Gibson whiskey.
Gibson was one of the premier brands of Pennsylvania rye, and what you have is certainly worth hanging onto until you can determine its real value.
Please P.M. me if you haven't heard from someone noting my recommendation.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Brendon77 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:31 am

hi Southerngirl777!
You are fond of collecting old things, thanks for sharing old collections.
Brendon77

Unread postby Southerngirl777 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Brendon77 wrote:hi Southerngirl777!
You are fond of collecting old things, thanks for sharing old collections.

Yes! I love the oldies, but have gotten rid of most of them. Still have a few bottles left.......glad u enjoyed the pics!
Southerngirl777

Return to Collector's Corner