Thomas H Handy Rye

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Thomas H Handy Rye

Unread postby Txaggie76wlw » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:45 am

Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on this pour? I am new to Rye and I spoiled myself by trying this first before any other Rye so the bar is set pretty high (to say the least) for all other Rye's at this point.
Txaggie76wlw

Re: Thomas H Handy Rye

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Yup, I'd have to agree with that. Handy is my #1 favorite rye whiskey, at least among those offered by the "biggies" (there are "craft" ryes that I like even better, though). What I MOST like about Handy is that it is not chill-filtered and therefore has layers of sub-flavors you just won't find in the normal products. If you dilute Handy to a "normal" proof (somewhere around 90) you can compare it more easily, and you'll find it has TONS more rye whiskey flavor than most. In fact, what I like most about it is that it's "economical" in that you can dilute it all the way down to around 40 proof (which is what professional tasters taste at) and it STILL retains all that wonderful flavor. An added bonus, of course, is that you can drink more -- assuming it's the flavor you want, not the buzz.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby MauiSon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Don't know about THH Rye, only rye I've had is Ritt100 - my bottle tastes like prune juice, anyone else get that?
MauiSon

Unread postby JLH3 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:29 pm

I love my bottle of Handy. If you can find it, try the Sazarac 18. Wow that is good stuff.

I also have a bottle of Willett's 3 yr old rye and find that to be as good or perhaps a shade better than the Handy.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Just purchased a bottle, in PA. of all places.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby acd483 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:15 am

Have to agree, THH was one of my favorite special drinks for all the reasons Ellenj mentioned, but after a while it started to upset my mouth. I would find my throat in pain though I never thought to try diluting it. I don't think you've spoiled yourself however because it's too expensive to be an everyday drink. And for that, I heartily recommend Rittenhouse Rye, which I find beats the pants off of all other low-mid priced ryes. It makes an especially nice Manhattan when mixed with Carpano Antica. But now that I live in Switzerland...it's wine...as they don't "do" American whiskey.
acd483

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:58 pm

acd483 wrote: But now that I live in Switzerland...it's wine...as they don't "do" American whiskey.

But they do Canadian Whiskey. At least they did the last time I was in St. Moritz.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby acd483 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 am

Bourbon Joe,

Something about Canadian Whiskey has never excited me. The real issue is that either way, you're stuck with a $39/liter fee on any spirit that you produce or import into Switzerland. So by nature, spirits are expensive. I guess, I'm going to simply have to build up a reserve from friends bringing it to me as they visit. Or, perhaps Germany has an importer of proper American Ryes.

Best,
Anthony
acd483

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 am

I'm not very excited about Canadian Whiskey either, but it does make a tasty Manhattan. That's what happened in St. Moritz. We ran out of whiskey for our daily Manhattans and I spotted a bottle of Canadian Club in the window of a spirits shop. Saved the day.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey