Comments on Mike's review of W L Weller Special Reserve 7 ye

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Mike's review of W L Weller Special Reserve 7 ye

Unread postby forumadmin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:37 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Mike's review of W L Weller Special Reserve 7 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:37 am

Mike, this bourbon was my first favorite, and I'm not ashamed to this day to admit that. While I'd vary on your comparison to Weller 12 -- and, admittedly, the Weller 12yos I drink most often are Stitzel-Weller single-barrels I had a hand in selecting -- I agree that it is a great bargain of the bourbon world.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:14 pm

Tim, the more I try bourbons the more I realize the variability. This seems true not just in the Single Barrel and Small Batch varieties, but even in the standard offerings.

That is one reason I re-review bourbons from time to time. They change, I change.

My bottle of 12 YO Weller, the only one I have ever sampled from, is not the equal of the Weller 7 YO. Who knows why..........my palate, an inferior bottle, whatever. But my suspicion is that it is a poor example because wheaters often seem to benefit from a bit more time in the barrel.

The 12 YO did, however, serve with distinction when it basted some baby back ribs recently.............yum, yum. Cooking in a smoker at about 250 degrees for almost three hours, basting every 20 minutes.......alternating between Weller 12 YO and apple juice (apple juice in the steamer and hickory chips as the smoke source) and finishing off the last 20 minutes with fat free Italian dressing, seasoned salt, and garlic powder. When you do your ribs thisaway, you gone love 'em!! Have some Pappy 20 when you eat them and life will be grand. Makes you so glad you ain't dead yet!

Heckov a place for a recipe, but there you have it. As you might have noticed in my reviews, when something hits me I put it down!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby johnnyboots » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:10 pm

man I love Sigman bottle, glad to see someone else enjoy it's fruits
johnnyboots

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion