What bourbons do you ALWAYS have on hand?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

What bourbons do you ALWAYS have on hand?

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:13 am

I have been a bourbon taster for about a year now. I have a collection of about 15 or so bottles of darn good bourbon. But these are the ones I always have on hand and drink mostly:

Wl Weller SR 7y/o. This is an easy to drink bourbon and goes well with mixers, tho I like it on the rocks. Hugely cheap at $22/1.75ml.

Fighting Cock. Heaven Hill obvious copy of WT101. Great mouth feel with nice rye kick. Great value at 15.99/750ml.

Wild Turkey 101. I was late to try this one, but better late than never. WT101 is probably the best bourbon you can get for less than $20. Its at least the best of the high proof brawler class of bourbon. A well made classic.

Knob Creek. My favorite at this point in time. At $25, it's not cheap, but I can afford it and a friend likes it so its always on hand.
Birdo

Re: What bourbons do you ALWAYS have on hand?

Unread postby onemangang » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:47 am

I will add WT Rare Breed to the list as well as Gentleman Jack (I know). I can always dig around and find a stashed bottle of these two.
On the less pricey side though, I have been keeping Four Roses Yellow Label on hand.
onemangang

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:18 pm

onemangang wrote:I will add WT Rare Breed to the list as well as Gentleman Jack (I know). I can always dig around and find a stashed bottle of these two.
On the less pricey side though, I have been keeping Four Roses Yellow Label on hand.

Hats off to the most excellent WT Rare Breed, I have a bottle of that, but its only for special occasions.
Birdo

Unread postby Mike » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Too many to tote. And none are left alone too long.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby ebo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:44 pm

I have a number of bourbons at any given time, but I find that I ALWAYS have a bottle of WT 101 and WTRB, Elijah Craig 12, FRSB and/or Small Batch, and although it techinically isn't bourbon... George Dickel 12.

Others that are frequently on hand are Jim Beam BiB, EWB, Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek (especially the SBR, now :D) and again, techinically not bourbon... JD Single Barrel.
ebo

Unread postby Mack » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:38 am

Unfortunately my selection in Ontario Canada sometimes precludes me from having my favorites (i.e. Wild Breed).
However, i've been fortunate enough to always have on hand
WT101 8Yr (my go to)
Bookers

I also currently have a couple of bottles of Kentucky Spirit, Buffalo Trace, Makers 46, old Russell's Reserve 101.
...the Knife
Mack

Unread postby howardf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:53 am

None. I always have 8 or so bottles of Bourbon and Rye, and maybe a bottle of Scotch in my cabinet, but they're an endlessly rotating assortment of bottles. My problem is that I have three "dead zones" in my rotation, because I can't bring myself to finish my two bottles of Parker's Heritage, or my beloved Sazerac 18.
howardf

Unread postby vince » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:25 pm

I have alot of bourbons and I rotate them all of the time but I would say that I am never without Four Roses (either small batch or single barrel) Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Woodford Reserve, Pappy Van Winkle 15 Yr Old, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Old Weller Antique, and a bottle of Jim Beam's small batch collection (usually Knob Creek)
vince

Unread postby Cmanavy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:05 am

Eligah Craig 18 Year. Other come and go.
Cmanavy

Return to Bourbon, Straight