Bourbon Books

Check in here for reviews of whiskey related books and other materials

Moderator: Squire

Re: Bourbon Books

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:33 pm

cowdery wrote:... we didn't choose this subject matter, it chose us. We are compelled to study it and write about it. That's good, because that means we're passionate about it...

It didn't just choose me, Chuck. It abducted me and held me hostage until I'd agreed to dedicate a WHOLE lot more of my time and awareness (not to mention personal funding) than I ever expected to. :D Probably the same with you.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 pm

John,
I know you meant no offense, I just thought it was kind of funny - I have never been compared to a Big Mac before! I just hope my posts are as popular as Big Macs... over one billion sold or something like that!

One of the reasons I talked Mark and Chris into doing the "Library" forum was to do reviews of books, hoping others would do the same and then give people like Clayton a chance to know what has been written on bourbon. This does make me want to ask him - have you read any of the book reviews? I assumed that you had and what you were really trying to ask is what is in print that you should read. That is why I mentioned the "Book of Bourbon" and the fact that is now in print again.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Clayton » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 am

bourbonv wrote:John,
I know you meant no offense, I just thought it was kind of funny - I have never been compared to a Big Mac before! I just hope my posts are as popular as Big Macs... over one billion sold or something like that!

One of the reasons I talked Mark and Chris into doing the "Library" forum was to do reviews of books, hoping others would do the same and then give people like Clayton a chance to know what has been written on bourbon. This does make me want to ask him - have you read any of the book reviews? I assumed that you had and what you were really trying to ask is what is in print that you should read. That is why I mentioned the "Book of Bourbon" and the fact that is now in print again.

Mike being new here I was not aware of the reviews, my fault. Also just trying to get to know a few peoples ideas/favourites through chatting on here to them.

Clayton
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Dorothy Parker
Clayton

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:22 am

gillmang wrote:One can't please all the people all the time...

At least not in the same media. Cowdery's writings on his blog and in his Bourbon Country Reader are often every bit as comprehensive (and sometimes more so) than yours or mine. Chuck's more simplified "bourbon forum" postings are probably more appropriate for this venue, while inviting the more curious to visit his other outlets. I also invite readers to visit my website (for even more wordy and thought-provoking articles) but, unlike Chuck, I have little faith that many will actually do so. :?
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:31 am

bourbonv wrote:John, I know you meant no offense, I just thought it was kind of funny - I have never been compared to a Big Mac before! I just hope my posts are as popular as Big Macs... over one billion sold or something like that!

You damn betcha I meant no offense. I have often noted (and will continue to do so) that nearly everything being written about the history of Kentucky bourbon whiskey is either directly quoted or at least based upon information sourced from you. And while you may have interpreted the "Big Mac" as a symbol of low quality (and I agree; that's why I used Burger King instead -- there IS a difference), my use of it was to illustrate a quick, to-the-point-and-then-quit style of presenting information, as opposed to one with several layers and a logic developed from within, rather than "this is what the authority hath spoken; now you know, so shut up and move on to your next question please".
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Well John, I believe each of us offers something unique.

And I for one DO read your website. When are those updates coming? You do great work there.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby JL77 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:25 am

I hate to blow my own horn BUT my book is now on sale on amazon and soon on Barns & Noble or at s-kpublishing.com. It's title is "The Common Man's Guide to Straight Kentucky Bourbon". It has how to meet a new bourbon for the first time, how to get to the 9 major distilleries, turms you will here, MY Opinion on 70 different bourbons (with room to make your own comments for later ref),how to start a bourbon tasting club, and other things from the world of bourbon. In case anyone needs a light intro into the bourbon world.
JL77

Previous

Return to The Library