A Smith Bowman Virginia Bourbons

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

A Smith Bowman Virginia Bourbons

Unread postby Pirate762 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Has anyone tried these? I saw them in Virginia on Friday and picked up a couple. They had a small batch (8 yrs), a single barrel (10 yrs), and a limited edition rye (12 yrs).

They also make a rum, vodka, and gin.

Just looking for some info on these.

Thanks

Jim
Pirate762

Re: A Smith Bowman Virginia Bourbons

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:45 pm

The Bourbons are Very Good. Well worth the price paid. Can't speak to the rye or non-whiskies.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:39 am

A. Smith Bowman is owned by Sazerac. The whiskey is distilled at Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. The new make is sent to Virginia where it is distilled a third time and entered into barrels. Aging and bottling is done in Virginia. These products were introduced last fall and replace the long-time Virginia Gentleman brand. They are only available in Virginia.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Just to add to Chuck's commentary: The Buffalo Trace White Dog is redistilled in a rather large all copper pot still. There seems to be some magic in it, as the bourbon comming out of the A. Smith Bowman Distillery is quite unique and unlike anything from Kentucky. Plus it is aged and bottled in Virginia, and that makes it especially special! All bourbon used to be distilled and barreled in Virginia, but that was before 1792 when Kentucky was a county of Virginia. But then again, all of what is now known as North America used to be Virginia. Just ask John Smith!
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Pirate762 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks for the replies. It was interesting enough that I had to get some. I plan to do some sipping in the near future and will let you know what I find.

Jim
Pirate762

Unread postby independant » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:46 am

I am going to go against the stream on this and say the bourbon being sold under the Bowman name is par at best. When A Smith Bowman was selling their 90 proof VG otherwise known as the fox it was great. The small batch sells for 29.99. The Fox sells for 19.99. Both are 90 proof and while the SmB may be a little older (no more then a year or two IMO)but it is not worth 10 bucks more. To me they are basicly putting VG 90 into a fancy bottle and selling it for more.

The single barrel while not being bad just had nothing going for it. At 50.00 this was a let down but at 30.00 I would have felt the same about it. Completely underwelming.
As for the rye I have not sampled it. Like I always say "fool me twice shame on you, fool me three times shall on me." I will not be folled again. And certainly not to the tune of 70.00.

Chuck did I read that right? Is this offering going to replace VG?
independant

Unread postby angelshare » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:04 pm

We tend to agree with Independant re: the price point vs. quality. And, please, Chuck, say it ain't so - replacing the Fox? Linn, if so, we better stock up!!!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby fricky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:20 am

The Single Barrel (John J Bowman) is 100 proof and was reported to be 10 years old. I would expect it to be somewhat better than the younger, lower proof Virginia Gentleman. I look forward to tasting it. I also look forward to tasting the 12 year old rye (Abraham Brown).
fricky

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:54 pm

If you have either Virginia Gentleman expression on the shelves it is old stock. They stopped producing it months ago.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby independant » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:49 am

cowdery wrote:If you have either Virginia Gentleman expression on the shelves it is old stock. They stopped producing it months ago.

Thanks for the heads up Chuck. I didn't realize that they were stopping production of VG. I bet a lot of other people did not realize this either.
I picked up three bottles of The Fox this afternoon.
independant

Unread postby ggilbertva » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:37 am

I'm a little less impressed with these two releases. The Bourbon has a weak nose but the finish was quite pleasant while the Rye had a great nose and a short finish. For the price (which I think is high), I'm not sure these will make it to the bunker. I can still find VG in some stores.
ggilbertva

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:48 pm

I agree Greg. I found "the fox" to be somewhat lackluster.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bluedog20175 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:46 pm

A Smith Bowman used to have their Headquarters operation in the Bowman family homestead in Reston Virginia, but owing to the 'gentrification" of Reston they could no longer pay their taxes and had to move. The storage houses were largely torn down and the business building was turned into a halfway house for drug addicts. A sad day for Virginia as they moved to Fredericksburg. Bowman liquors then sank to lower shelf "buy it by the half gallon" liquors. Virginia Gentleman became a shadow of its former self and fell off my list of drinkers.

I saw the John J.Bowman "Pioneer Spirit" Virginia single barrel bourbon in a local ABC store here and was intrigued enough to give it another try. (Like Virginia wine, I try to support Virginia distilling as much as possible.) Despite the price tag, I took a chance. They also make a Bowman Brothers small batch bourbon, which I have not tried.

I had a friend over last weekend for a tasting. The JJB is complex and has a heavier taste than charcoal filtered bourbons. Nice feel in the back of the throat, not to pungent. On par with Buffalo Trace or Weller Antique (my everyday drinker), but at the price, I would save it for special tastings or occasions.

Bowman is also making a limited edition Abraham Bowman Virginia whiskey, George Bowman dark Colonial style rum, Deep Run hand crafted Vodka, and Sunset Hills (the name of the Bowman family estate, now a busy thoroughfare in Reston Gin.
“Sure I eat what I advertise. Sure I eat Wheaties for breakfast. A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat.” -- Dizzy Dean
bluedog20175

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon May 10, 2010 7:47 pm

The Rye is price prohibitive and not that good. The SmB is simply the "Fox" repackaged.
ggilbertva

Return to Bourbon, Straight