Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale

Unread postby Brewer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Over the years, I have cellared a variety of Barley Wines, including Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Ale. I cracked open a couple of bottles of their year 2000 effort and I'm happy to say that after 10 years in the bottle, it is a great brew! It definitely has matured very well in the bottle. Very flavorful, malty and smooth. No hop flavor/aroma to speak of. Very nice. This brew doesn't need any "drink by" date IMO. :beer:
Bob
Brewer

Re: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:02 am

Bob, are there any damp paper or maderized (sherry or port-like) oxidation notes?

The part about hop flavour diminishing is consistent with long aging. It is one of the mysteries of beer and brewing though: where do they go?

Very strong English ales were said to be capable of very long cellaring and this sounds similar.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Gary,

I'd have to say that co-mingled with the intense, predominant malt flavor, there is a port-like flavor. Not in a bad way though. I think the flavors co-exist nicely. I did not note any "off-flavors" to detract from the beer. It still have a pretty good degree of carbonation as well after 10 years in the bottle. I have a number of other Barley Wine beers of different ages, including Brooklyn's Monster Ale, that I need to taste and compare. I hope they remain as good as the Bigfoot!
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:15 pm

I had some 1999 that I cellared until it was around eight years old. It was carbonated and had no off fllavors. Most of the hop flavor was gone. That was good because when it was young it was really strong in bitterness.
PaulO

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Paul,

I'm a big fan of hoppy beers. But I really enjoyed the aged Bigfoot without the hop aroma or flavor. Very tasty with all of the big-time malt power showing its stuff. I think this beer is better minus the hops.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby PaulO » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:10 am

I agree. I like hops but want a balenced beer. The aged Bigfoot was nice. I am a big fan of Bavarian style wheat beers, and stouts. My brother turned me on to some Samuel Smith's Winter Warmer he got on sale; nice. :D
PaulO

Unread postby madooeiei » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:54 am

it was young it was really strong in bitterness.

agent royal1688
madooeiei

Return to What Ales You