What's going on at the old Seagram's in Shively?

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

What's going on at the old Seagram's in Shively?

Unread postby RobotAZ » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:48 pm

I know that Iron Mountain is storing documents, but I noticed that there was quite a bit of activity at the old Seagram's distillery in Shively and wondered if anyone knows what is going on there and who owns/leases it for operations. I'm assuming that there is no distilling, but have no real evidence to support that assumption.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Re: What's going on at the old Seagram's in Shively?

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:15 pm

All I'm aware of is Iron Mountain too, but I can confirm no distillers are involved with the place and no distilling is going on there. On the other hand, it's possible someone is look at using the warehouses for aging, since warehouse space is at a premium right now. Most of the producers don't like masonry warehouses, which those are, but a few do, like Brown-Forman.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: What's going on at the old Seagram's in Shively?

Unread postby RobotAZ » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:06 am

I was actually talking about the distillery and ancillary buildings. The warehouses that weren't obviously fixed up with very nice, new windows, appeared to be in pretty bad shape. But of course, that area is probably prone to kids throwing rocks and shooting air rifles at the windows, so the non-Iron Mtn ones may be OK inside and still in use.

Anyway, the distillery itself had a lot of activity going on. THere was an overhead door open and you could see vehicles, newer ones, and lots of very well kept stainless piping everywhere. Several men were walking around inside and outside. I just thought it seemed awfully busy to be closed down. There was a company name on some very small signs, but I do not recall what they said, as the name was unfamiliar. I'll look into and get back when I find out.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Return to Bourbon Lore