Has Whiskey changed your Beer Preferences?

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Has Whiskey changed your Beer Preferences?

Unread postby Rughi » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:07 pm

I worked in bars in Berkeley and Seattle from the late '80s through the mid '90s that specialized in the exploding new varieties of micro-brews that were coming onto the scene. From the late '90s on, I have pretty much brewed the beer I drink.

Throughout this time I had a love for the hoppy, especially the Northwest's very hopped-up styles and some Bay Area beers such as the Lind ("Drakes'" themes) and the Lagunitas.

That is, until my love of bourbon really started to blossom and eclipse other drinks from about 2094 on. Since then, my lust for crazy amounts of hops has tempered and waned. If I now wake up with hops on my breath I even think its a bit gross, where if I wake up with vanilla and tanin on my breath that's a pleasantreminder of an evening well spent. I think the sweetness of bourbon has changed my palate to desire less bitterness. Where traditionally I've made IPAs, high gravity and bitter porters, when I brew now, I emphasize yeast complexity for the tangy notes and am looking at sour Flanders Reds (with bacterial innoculation!), tart hefeweizens (Wyeast's Weihenstafan wheat yeast is much, much better than White Labs' for tanginess), and crisp Blonde Ales.

Has anyone else noticed whiskey hanging their likes in beers?

Roger
Rughi

Re: Has Whiskey changed your Beer Preferences?

Unread postby DeanSheen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:00 am

Nope, I just drink less beer than I used to.

I was able to indulge in some old favorites yesterday, Orval and DeRanke XX Bitter (my favorite).

I think in my fridge downstairs is some Jever, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, Flying Dog Pale Ale, Stone Ruination and some various Founders.

But I guess I was just supposed to answer......no.
--- Robert in meatspace. (NE OH)
DeanSheen

Unread postby Rughi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:10 am

mozilla wrote:I have stopped drinking beer since diving head first into bourbon and rye whisky.

Just as well.
Those hops can unbalance the palate for good whiskey drinking.
Rughi

Unread postby Mike » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:39 pm

I do not drink as much beer as I once did...........for various reasons, but, I still like the sames ones I usta did.

I like both highly hopped beers and some of the sweeter beers. If forced into a corner by a beer NAZI and made to confess my favorite, it would be Sierra Nevada Celebrations Ale. I made a Celebration Ale knock off a couple of years back and it turned out to be very, very, good............most as good as the real thing. My other best effort was a chocolate porter.

I now have (with the assistance of some friends) 2 batches of wine in the fermentaion process. One is a white wine (reisling) and t'other is a Sharaz. After the xfer from primary fermentation we gave each a taste and I think they will be quite good when aged properly..............then comes the tasting party!!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Don Galligan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Bourbon and Beer go together naturally for me. I tend to order both when out. I like the burn of the bourbon and the coolness of the beer alternating on the palate. That said, yes, my love of bourbon has changed the beers I drink. I used to like a sweeter beer, now I really like a hoppy beer that has some bitterness to it. I also like darker and heavier beer than I used to. I used to think Pale ales were my favorites, now I like a complex IPA or a stout. I even like some of the brown beers, but they can be a little sweet so they are hit or miss. Belgian brews are complex and delicious.
Don Galligan

Unread postby independant » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:15 am

I still only drink yuengling when I am drinking beer. So no my taste in beer has not changed.
On a side note my taste in foods has changed very much. I find that from searching for flavors in bourbon I am now doing it in food and trying new things.
independant

Unread postby rayor » Wed May 11, 2011 7:11 am

I drink both, depends on my mood and the company that surrounds me
For example, If I watch football, I drink only beer, but if I want to relax, I prefer to drink whiskey, to taste pleasant aroma and enjoy the exquisite taste :)
rayor

Unread postby johncieera » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Well this has happened to me too. I love whiskey and when i try a new type of whiskey I always seem to change my preference with beer
johncieera

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:24 pm

No, not really. I do not drink as much beer as I use to, but if it were readily available I would, maybe again.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Return to What Ales You