Good Cheap Bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Good Cheap Bourbon

Unread postby rb4browns » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:00 am

Hi All

I continue to enjoy reading the postings and articles here. One day I might even work up the nerve to write a review, maybe... :drunken: As we're in the Jewish High Holiday season, and I am a member of the Tribe, I've picked up a couple special bottles that will be once/twice a year pours. Four Roses single Barrel and Vintage 17 y/o. Both are wonderful and i look forward to next year when my pallet has become more refined so I will enjoy them even more.

Anywhoo, as I cannot afford a $40 bottle for every purchase, especially if I have a bunch of folks over to watch a game or whatnot, can you guys recommend some good choices for a lower cost/larger bottle bourbon? I want my $20 to stretch with this but not be drinking rotgut. Thanks!
rb4browns

Re: Good Cheap Bourbon

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:39 am

Best bourbon for under $11 ($10.54 at Liquor Barn in Louisville) bar none is JTS Brown.

From the same distillery, one of the best values in a very widely available bourbon is Evan Williams black label.

If you live where Four Roses Single Barrel is sold, you should be able to find the standard yellow label (now it's more beige) for under $20. Old Forester Signature is another generally very good value.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Don Galligan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 am

I agree whole heartedly with Chuck on the Evan Williams Black Label. I think you can even get a 1.75 Liter bottle for under $20. Great value. If you want an equally great value with a more refined bourbon I would suggest Elijah Craig 12 Year old. This is a very nice pour and I just got a 750 ml bottle for under $18. Heaven Hill Distillery seems to have a high quality at a budget conscious price mastered.
Don Galligan

Unread postby p_elliott » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:37 am

I have to make it a unanimous 3 votes for Evan Williams Black label for the best bottom shelf bourbon I've had. I always keep a bottle in my cabinet. It's the second largest selling bourbon in the world if I have my facts straight.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby sailor22 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:41 am

Everyones taste is different but I think there are a few great values still out there most are right around $20 or a couple dollars more - a few are less - JTS Brown BIB, Evan Williams 1783. Elija Craig 12, ET Lee, Pikesville Rye, Wild Turkey Rye, AA 10. Keep an eye out for sales and you can still do pretty well.
sailor22

Unread postby Don Galligan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 am

A couple other choices to get a little higher grade bourbon for under $20 would be to go to a smaller bottle size. I know that both Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve are sold in 350 ml bottles. Not as much product, but it brings the affordability back in line with your stated $20. Also I am able to get Old Weller Antique 7/107 and WL Weller special reserve for under $20 a bottle. One other option is to go even smaller Wild Turkey Rare Breed is sold in 50 ml travel size bottles (the old airline bottles). Sometimes this can be an option if you just want to try a bourbon, or you just want a drink for yourself. My liquor store carries them, and this is far more affordable than laying out $50 for a 750 ml bottle.

Don
Don Galligan

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:12 am

Don Galligan wrote:A couple other choices to get a little higher grade bourbon for under $20 would be to go to a smaller bottle size. I know that both Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve are sold in 350 ml bottles. Not as much product, but it brings the affordability back in line with your stated $20. Also I am able to get Old Weller Antique 7/107 and WL Weller special reserve for under $20 a bottle. One other option is to go even smaller Wild Turkey Rare Breed is sold in 50 ml travel size bottles (the old airline bottles). Sometimes this can be an option if you just want to try a bourbon, or you just want a drink for yourself. My liquor store carries them, and this is far more affordable than laying out $50 for a 750 ml bottle.

Don

$50 for some Rare Breed, damn! Do you live in Nazi Germany? I get it for $28.99.

Anyway my 2 cents on cheap bourbon in TEXAS are:

Tom Moore BIB @ $18.99 a 1.75,

Weller Special Reserve @ $15.99 a 750ml and

for $20 a 750ml around here you can get good old Wild Turkey 101.
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby PaulO » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:53 pm

The last bottle of Old Forester Signature (100 proof) I had was very nice, and well under $20. JW Dant BIB has often been what I get when I don't know what I want. Old Grand Dad BIB is another good one. Very Old Barton is worth looking at, especially if they have the higher than 80 proof juice (and VOB has an age statement, I guess they didn't run out of room on the label). JTS Brown BIB, and HH BIB; both good. Basically anything that says "Bottled In Bond", or "straight whiskey" and is over 80 proof is worth a try. Some 80 proofers are ok, others are thin and bland.
PaulO

Unread postby independant » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 pm

In order of what is easily avaible to me, 20 bucks more or less.
WT 101 rye
WT 101
Old Grand Dad BIB
Chater 101
Old Forester Signature
Weller 107
Evan Williams Black Label
Evan Williams BIB
Fighting Cock 103
independant

Unread postby rb4browns » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 pm

mozilla wrote:
Don Galligan wrote:A couple other choices to get a little higher grade bourbon for under $20 would be to go to a smaller bottle size. I know that both Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve are sold in 350 ml bottles. Not as much product, but it brings the affordability back in line with your stated $20. Also I am able to get Old Weller Antique 7/107 and WL Weller special reserve for under $20 a bottle. One other option is to go even smaller Wild Turkey Rare Breed is sold in 50 ml travel size bottles (the old airline bottles). Sometimes this can be an option if you just want to try a bourbon, or you just want a drink for yourself. My liquor store carries them, and this is far more affordable than laying out $50 for a 750 ml bottle.

Don

I also, don't agree, with going smaller while on the hunt to stretch money.

To stretch your dollars...go big...1.75ltr. We often see various handles on sale for $11.99, here. Pick up a couple of these and your cooking, flasking, punch and mixer duty is covered for a couple of months. In that time...you can hunt down a few of the higher priced items off the sale list. It's kind of a two pronged attack.

Spec's has a sale flyer on their website EVERY weekend....they also, have a "key" program that will get you a discount. I have posted a few of the prices in a thread about Local Prices, if you are interested in reviewing some recent history.

Yeah, let me clarify, I am talking 1.75l bottles...
rb4browns

Unread postby independant » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:11 pm

rb4browns wrote:Yeah, let me clarify, I am talking 1.75l bottles...

Oh not a lot of room to work with, try Evan Williams Black label. Or anything over 80 proof and you will be ok.
independant

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:51 pm

I've never had the Tom Moore BIB but it should be similar to the Very Old Barton BIB (same maker), which has been my go-to cheap bourbon for 25 years.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:13 pm

So who makes Very Old Barton? I would like to try Tom Moore, but have never seen it on shelves in IN.
PaulO

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Four Roses. The regular 80 proof.

Old Forester Signature. (100 proof).

Very Old Barton 100 proof (ideally, but 90 proof is good too).

Bulleit.

Evan Williams Single Barrel or Elijah Craig 12 years old.

Rittenhouse Straight rye.

Weller Antique 107 proof, or any other Weller if you can find it.

Happy New Year.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:44 pm

I just noticed your post indicating a wish for 1.75 L under $20.00. This will be difficult. Chuck mentioned JTS Brown which is about 2 standard bottles at $20.00, and I agree with that recommendation. Also Evan Williams Black Label gets closer to your price point with good taste.

The ones I mentioned generally are not that inexpensive. However, I find with bourbon that quality kind of plateaus at the level I am mentioning. Above that, you may get something excellent, but probably not worth twice what, say OF Signature costs, and it may actually be less good than Signature. Your best bet in the price/quality ratio is for the bottles I mentioned, IMO. It may pay in other words to have less of something that is really a cut above. (An option is to chase something good with a decent beer rather than drink two lesser samples of bourbon, but that is not for everyone or one's guests I suppose).

For $20.00 per 1.75 L you might seek out a good blended whiskey, there are a number which offer good value. You can improve any of these by adding a dash of any good bourbon or straight rye.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight