Captians Quart - Gleenmore distilleries - Full bottle.

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Captians Quart - Gleenmore distilleries - Full bottle.

Unread postby papasean » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Hello all,

My grandfather was a salesmen. Everytime he would make a huge sale, he would give his clients a bottle of bourbon. Instead of buying bottles of bourbon one by one, he would buy cases and cases as the bulk purchase would make it cheaper.

He retired and when he did so he stashed a lot of bourbon in the attic. I've come to inherit most of it. I literally cases upon cases of old bourbon bottles that are completely full.

I will probably be posting some stuff from time to time to get more info, but today I need some help on this one particular bottle.

I have a Kentucky Tavern, Captain's Quart bottle of bourbon. Aged 8 years, 80 proof. One quart. Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey.

The bottle is full and sealed. I have the original box that it come in, the advertising insert envelope that is inclosed with it, the alternate cork with a pourer on it, and the "stickies" that are enclosed in the box so it can be adhered to a galley so it does not slide around on a ship. And as stated previously, never opened. Full contents, though I suspect a little bit of evaporation.

I can take pictures of everything and post if needed, but I was wanting to get an approx. value of what I have. I know it's probably illegal to sell it, and I'm not looking to do that anyways, but I think it would be fun to get a rough estimate of what it may be worth.

I can get more info if need be.

Thanks for you help!!
papasean

Re: Captians Quart - Gleenmore distilleries - Full bottle.

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:47 pm

You did not say from what year, but a lot less than you had hoped I am sure no mater what year. I had the 1945, 8 year BIB Ship decanter I gave to a fellow BE member that I paid $100 for, but I really wanted it at the time and I have seen others sell for $50-75. The 80 proof version (less desired) would be worth around $20-30 depending on the day. KT is not a highly saught after bourbon.

I picked up a 1940, BIB for $25 on ebay, and ebay is where everything sells for way more than its worth.

It would be fun to hear about the other items that you aquired (bourbon wise). The attic is not a good place to store liquids with corks because they will dry out, get contaminated and go bad much faster than in a house.
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby papasean » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Well that kinda sucks. No worries though, I guess they can't all be winners.

Here is another one (this is the box description)

Bourbon Supreme
Rare
Straight Bourbon Whiskey
86 Proof
The American Distillin gcompany - Perkin, ILL San Francisco;CALIF.

Williamsburg Decanter
86 Proof . 4/5 Quart

In the box, well, it's a decanter of Williamsburg. 1699 to 1780. Capital of Virginia.

On the bottom of the bottle, it says 1969. American Distilling Series. Genuine Porcelain. Made in USA by Heirlooms of Tomorrow.

Any idea on this one? Of course, still sealed. In box.

The price tag (from the store back in the day) says: 12.85 each. :)
papasean

Unread postby mozilla » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:17 pm

I have it from a trusted source...There has never been a good whisky made in Illinois. I hope I remembered that correctly. Well it was something like that. Unless, it is well aged and dark in color...it will be avarage in flavor, more than likely. The only one I remember having was very corny in flavor.

Pictures would help, though.
mozilla

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:22 pm

[quote]Bourbon Supreme Rare
Straight Bourbon Whiskey
86 Proof
The American Distillin gcompany - Perkin, ILL San Francisco;CALIF.
Williamsburg Decanter
86 Proof . 4/5 Quart
In the box, well, it's a decanter of Williamsburg. 1699 to 1780. Capital of Virginia.
On the bottom of the bottle, it says 1969. American Distilling Series. Genuine Porcelain. Made in USA by Heirlooms of Tomorrow

I had this one (same year and juice - diff bottle). I was not a big fan. On ebay it will bring about a wopping $15 (so after ebay and paypal fees, $12). Just not that good and rare. I have found many of bourbon supremes and deluxes in stores dusty hunting and I leave them there.

You might get a buck or two more for the decanter, but I doubt it.

So as Saint Bunghole says.. Open, Drink, Enjoy, and Share "DRINK IT"
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby papasean » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:32 pm

Ok, here's another.

"Beam's Choice"
Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Year 8 Old
Distilled and Bottled by
James B. Beam Distilling Co.
Clermont - Beam, Kentucky
86 Proof - 4/5 Quart

The bottle itself is very odd shaped. It has a picture of:

"The Judge"
Edouard Manet

Brown Bottle, picture art of some dude.

Still sealed. I have the white box it goes in as well, though it looks to have a small bit of water damage.

On the back of the box: Charboal Filtered 4/5 quart. 8 years old. 86 proof
Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
James B. Beam Distilling Co.
Distillers Since 1795.

Thanks!
papasean

Unread postby papasean » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:33 pm

And I think the year on that one is 1969.
papasean

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:58 pm

I bet it tastes really good, but $5-20 bucks. I just had one (decanter does not add any value in any of these).

It was the best beam I have had and would love to drink more, but you can get these all day for $5-$20 bucks.
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby papasean » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks for the help!! I'll be pulling more down as time passes.

BTW -- where do you typically buy stuff like this? Online? Or where you live?

Thank you again!
papasean

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:10 pm

Dusties from stores and ebay a lot. Most folks think that they will get rich selling these, but by the time the fees and the actual work is completed, they have not made squat. The best thing is to drink them and remember the family member they got them from.

I would say from this point, just PM me the ones you have and I will tell you what I think. You will find many threads here on this topic and even a overall disclaimer on the site that says, it is nearly imposible to nail down most odd bottles, but what you have put forward so far is very common. I see them on ebay all the time or, what is worse, at stores still because no one wants them.... Your bottles come from the time there was a lot of juice on the market and distillers could not pay to get rid of them. That is why they came up with the decanter scheme... great peice of marketing, but all of the were doing it to the point that very few are worth anything. The Ezra Brooks Inidan decanters might be the most valuable out there and not because of the juice, they are just looked for.

Old Fitz BiB have the most valuable juice from that time period, but it is very hard to ensure that the juice is still good. If they were in an attic the entire time, I would not pay more that $20 a pop for them .. risk is to high. To give you referance, i have baught a bunch for $10 each with good and bad juice...

Feel free to PM and I will give you my oppinion.. that at 2 quarters will get you 50 cents....
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby papasean » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:15 pm

When you crack one of these open, how can you tell the OK from the decent to the real bad?

I assume on some of the real bad the bourben tends to get a misty colour and what not.

I've heard conflicting stoies as well. Is bourben like wine like how it will age better over time, or once out of the cask it no longer ages and will taste the same no matter how long it has been stored?

I'm a big dumb-dumb when it comes to this, sorry for all the newb questions.

I do really appreciate your help. Thanks for taking the time with me.
papasean

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Not a problem.. and welcome to the site..

When you crack one of these open, how can you tell the OK from the decent to the real bad?

There are a few indicators. Smell, sight, and taste. I have had it smell good and look good and taste like death. If it comes out and is real cloudy... dump it. Usually this happens in a decanter when the decanter has mixed withthe bourbon and you are looking at dcanter material blended with bourbon. No way to seperate them Borken cork is OK, just filter. Do not drink cloudy bourbon I do not care how good it tastes..

I assume on some of the real bad the bourben tends to get a misty colour and what not.

Not always. I had an Old Fitz clear as day and I almost puked when I tasted it.

Is bourben like wine like how it will age better over time, or once out of the cask it no longer ages and will taste the same no matter how long it has been stored?

THe liquore, being distilled does not age any further, but it can oxidise and "go off" if it is contaminated.

But if the container is perfect, the juice will be just like it was when it was bottled 100 years from now.

As a side note, if you have a bourbon that has an odd smell, pour it into a glass and let it open up. SOmetimes some of the cleaning fluid or other bad smells wil burn off and it will open into a great drink... I am always concerned with I smell mildue in a distilled spirit (I hate peat by the way for scotches). It makes me think the juice had soem contamination over time... but that is me... The other rules are pretty close to what others will tell you...

Take it easy
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:32 pm

I would only add that being familar with a spectrum of modern bourbon tastes will help to identify when whiskey is oxidised or contaminated in some way. Oxidation is, in my experience, the most common fault of older bottles or current ones in which a very small amount of spirit is kept for a few months or more. Oxidised spirit has a "metallic" characteristic taste, one which sometimes is "dirty". It is hard to describe the flavor but once you know the taste it is hard to forget it. Basement or attic must and other off-flavors can get into whiskey too and sometimes excess light can hurt it. That said, whiskey is a fairly durable product. But caution should always be exercised with older bottles, if it doesn't taste right after a small sip, don't use it.

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby papasean » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm going to open a few of these up and "sample" them for freshness.

BTW -- Are you guys in KY? I live in Louisville but am from WV orgionally.

On a side note, I just went to the Jim Beam distillery yesterday. They had some Bookers and Basil Hayden to taste test. I've had never before, but WOW, those were great.

Thanks again! I'm looking forward to be part of the community!

Regards!
papasean

Unread postby mozilla » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:37 pm

If you have some real Glenmore straight bourbon...you won't be satisfied with those Beam products for long. The Glenmore is outstanding at any proof.

Make sure none of the whisky you sample is real cloudy. If it doesn't smell pleasant...only taste a small bit to make certain. Or better yet only open bottles that appear clear...don't worry if it is dark...just clear, not cloudy. Some particles in the bottom or floating is not a big issue either.
mozilla

Return to Collector's Corner