Comments on azoth_melusina`s review of Benchmark

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on azoth_melusina`s review of Benchmark

Unread postby forumadmin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:23 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about azoth_melusina's review of Benchmark.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:23 pm

Nice review, I enjoyed reading it. And the question remains: Is there a horizon for 80 proofers... I tend to think there is. I've had some very good 80 proofers along the way (decades). I. W Harper being one of the best, and also some decent Gentlemen Jack (sketchy) and Basil Hayden. It's a coin toss... 50/50. BB
BuffaloBill

Re: Comments on azoth_melusina`s review of Benchmark

Unread postby azoth_melusina » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:03 pm

thanks for the positive comment and, yes, i admit that i WANT to find a reason to like the 80 proofers...and i wonder, though, is it possibe to have a great 80 proof bourbon or even rye whiskey? it seems to work fine for the spirits of ireland and scotland...but is the nature of bourbon and rye that they are best when at 90+ proof....and even better after that? sometimes, yes, i like a smooth, straight forward pour ... a challenge of 101 and above isn't always needed!

i agree, the GJack is a fine, high quality pour. basil hayden's, too.
"Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold." Jerry Vale
azoth_melusina

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:05 pm

I tend to like 94 and up. After 122 we're getting heady with the need for good spring water and the knowledge of proofing. There are other guys on BE that have that down to a science. BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby azoth_melusina » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:16 pm

BuffaloBill wrote:I tend to like 94 and up. After 122 we're getting heady with the need for good spring water and the knowledge of proofing. There are other guys on BE that have that down to a science. BB

i think i am really loving this new Handy Sazerac since it is at a sippable (no ice or water needed) 127+ proof...but yes, after that, something might be needed to open it up. yes, 94 (elijah craig) is a great balance of body, complexity and heat.
"Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold." Jerry Vale
azoth_melusina

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion