Doing Business during Prohibition

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:13 pm

For those who are interested, I did a talk here at the Filson in late June on doing business during prohibition. The Filson has placed this talk on Youtube in four sections or ten minutes each.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Doing Business during Prohibition

Unread postby Chris » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:48 pm

to save people searching, here is a link... http://www.youtube.com/user/Filsonhistorical
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:22 pm

Chris,
Thanks for posting the link.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Jeff,
Al and Julie were there from Four Roses. Dave Pudlow from Maker's Mark was going to come but had to cancel at the last minute. Chet Zoller and Julian Van Winkle sent their regrets, but could not make it. Friday is hard to get a crowd in the summer with weekend plans and such. We had about 25 or so people. The talk was about 45 minutes or so with questions so it should al be there with the exception of a few questions at the end.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:00 pm

By the way Jeff, you might want to be carefull with the "blue hair" comments since Brenda was one the ladies coming in late! Of course Brenda runs on "Brenda Time" so it is debatable as to whether she was late.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Jeff,
I am not sure, but I do believe Brenda is one of those people who came in late!

Mike
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby fricky » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:43 am

Hi MIke,
I enjoyed your presentation. Thanks to the Filson for providing the opportunity to hear your presentation.

I had wondered about what happened to the aging whiskey in warehouses when Prohibition went into effect. Since Prohibition forbade the sale, manufacture, and transportation, I thought that the whiskey simply continued to age. You made it clear that certain distilleries were issued permits to store their whiskey and that of others. I assume that Pennsylvania was one of the states that approved Prohibition. Do you know if any distillery in Pennsylvania was issued a permit to store whiskey? I assume that there was whiskey in the warehouses at the Linfield Distillery and wondered what happened to it during prohibition.
Doug
fricky

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Doug,
I am sorry to take so long to get back to you on this, but it has been a busy week.

There were definitely consolidation warehouses in Pennsylvania. Joesph Finch distillery warehouses were the main ones for Schenley and I believe Overholt warehouses were the big ones for AMS/National during prohibition. Actually the Mt. Vernon warehouses for National may have been in Pennsylvania as well. It could be that the Linfield warehouses were consolidation warehouses in which case they would have held whiskey in them during prohibition. If they were not consolidation warehouses then the whiskey would have been removed to a consolidation warehouse after 1922. If it was Kentucky I could be more specific because Liberty National Bank did reports on whiskey in the warehouses for Kentucky starting in 1933, so it is easy to see where the consolidation warehouses were in Kentucky. I am willing to bet there were similar reports done in Pennsylvania and Maryland.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:12 pm

I finally got around to watching all four 'episodes' on youtube, and enjoyed them. I thought that I knew quite a bit about prohibition, but I learned a lot about the legal side of whiskey sales that I didn't know before. Thanks for the class Professor Veach!

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Return to Bourbon Lore