St George Single Malt Whiskey

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

St George Single Malt Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:04 pm

The guys at 'my' liquor store sold me a bottle of this whiskey for about half price....... $20. I have been curious about it and did a bit of research.

If I recomember correctly they get their mash from the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company. Sierra Nevada makes some of my favorite beers and that was the kicker for me.

St George benefits from (or suffers from, depending on your own taste) its Sierra Nevada heritage. The aroma has a pale ale cast to it and even seems to include the hops. The nose goes back and to twixt the pale ale aroma, the wood aromas, and the malt grain aroma. There is also a touch of citrus/orange/fruit lurking about that adds to the complexity. I enjoy the nose for its uniqueness.

Without a single sip, I think I am in a beer tavern about three sheets to the wind. Lordy, I have had some good times in them places........and only been threatened with being killed two times.

The taste has definite malty sweetness and some orange flavor that is complemented by a smidge of a spicy finish (from the hops, maybe?) that is very welcome. There is some of the desirable viscousity that gives this whiskey a nice sticking power.

Because this whiskey has a flavor unlike any I have encountered before, I have not decided just how much I like it, but like it I do. I can only characterize it as a beer drinkers whiskey, and, being a beer brewer and drinker, it suits me fine. I am glad I bought same and will pull it out and enjoy it now and again.

Barleycorn, my dog, says he thinks it would go real good with a pork roast cooked with apples, but how does he know? He likes his pork raw (when he gets it) and only smells apples, he won't eat them. This damn dog has way too much brass to suit me, but it is good to have somebody around who ain't as smart as you..................ain't it??
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:07 am

Mike wrote:... ..If I recomember correctly they get their mash from the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company. Sierra Nevada makes some of my favorite beers and that was the kicker for me...

I believe you're thinking of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. There may be some of that fine India Pale Ale flavor, but not as much as some others I've "enjoyed". All around, a pretty fine quality beverage. And the BEST distiller's notes I've ever found on a label!!
Attachments
Stranahans Colorado Whiskey 1.jpg
Stranahans Colorado Whiskey 1.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 4746 times
Stranahans Colorado Whiskey 2.jpg
Stranahans Colorado Whiskey 2.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 4746 times
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Mike » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:26 am

Thanks for the correction, John. Mayhap I am just as 'suggestable' as you are after all.

I have not seen the Stanahan's Colorado whiskey and obviously got confused about what I read.

St Georges does use several levels of toasted barley, whose bite and aroma I apparently mistook for hops (I did put a question mark by my hop note, being somewhat unsure about it).

If I see the Colorado Whiskey, I will give it a try. I like the pale ale flavoring.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey