Comments on TennBourbonMan's review of Pappy Van Winkle 15 y

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on TennBourbonMan's review of Pappy Van Winkle 15 y

Unread postby forumadmin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:47 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about TennBourbonMan's review of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:47 am

Well, TennBourbonMan, YOU have made a splash! Congrats on joining BE, but in particular for taking the plunge nad making not only 1, but 2 reviews, before you've even made a post! And great reviews at that for both the Pappy 15 and Rock Hill Farms. I assume these are your 2 favorite bourbons, but you mention a 3rd in the RHF review, and I know you'll be letting us in on that choice real soon. I know I'll also be looking forward to future reviews, as well as your involvement in the forums. Glad to have you with us!
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:59 am

I was finally able to get another bottle of this after months of looking. It is available in the Atlanta area again! I was thinking of doing a review since it has been quite a while since I sipped on this one.

Now there is no need for me to do a review. Our new TennBourbonMan has said it so well, this is a great bourbon. I do hope he will continue to grace us with his interesting and excellent reviews.

Y'all reckon Mr. TennBourbonMan enjoys bourbon?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:58 pm

Mike wrote:Now there is no need for me to do a review.

Mike,

Not so fast Mike, not so fast. Just because Mr.TennBourbonMan did such a nice review doesn't mean you can't add in your 2 cents. :wink:
Bob
Brewer

Thanks Guys

Unread postby TennBourbonMan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:05 pm

I hope it wasn't too presumptious of me to just post some reviews without establishing myself as a poster. I've lurked and read reviews here for a long time and reading them has proved invaluable in searching out the best bourbons. And yes I do love bourbon, it's one of the greatest values out there and it's made in the good ole US of A. Not that I'm so patriotic that I won't drink or can't enjoy offerings from other countries, but it's sure nice to know something so special is made right here. Bourbon to me is also so accessible.

Anyways, I've been jonesing to post a review on those two bourbons specifically and there's probably a half dozen more that I feel qualified to post on as well and will get to that at some point soon. I think tasting and reviewing Bourbon takes time. Sometimes the ole tastebuds will gather a few things in one sitting and for one reason or another - a change in setting, what you might have eaten or are eating with it, or the state of mind you are in at a given time, will give way to new flavors, smells, and what have you.
TennBourbonMan

And one more thing

Unread postby TennBourbonMan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:08 pm

I agree, I think there is no one review on a bourbon - one person gets this, this, or that, and another gets something different or a nuance that another person doesn't gather until it's pointed out. So it's invaluable for someone to post what he/she is getting from a bourbon even if it's totally different than someone elses. One thing is for certain, I will never present myself as a tasting master by any means and Mike your reviews have been extremely helpful for me as far finding bourbon's I like and trying new ones.
TennBourbonMan

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:24 pm

TennBourbonMan,
Welcome aboard. I agree with you on the reviews - it is a variety of reviews that people need to make an educated choice on a bourbon. The more the merrier, so to speak.

I personally think the 15 year old, 107 proof bourbon, whether he called it Old Rip Van Winkle or Pappy 15, is the best thing Julian bottles. I had a sip of his 23 yo Pappy last night and I really did not want more than a sip. It was too woody for my taste. The 15yo has a very good ballance of wood, caramel/vanilla and pecan that I love.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:56 pm

Brewer wrote:
Mike wrote:Now there is no need for me to do a review.

Mike,

Not so fast Mike, not so fast. Just because Mr.TennBourbonMan did such a nice review doesn't mean you can't add in your 2 cents. :wink:

Well shucks y'all. I read my first review and all the other reviews on Pappy 15, and then TennBourbonMan's review, and Mike Veach's comments...........and I ain't got nothing else to add.............now that's something coming from a BIGMOUTH like me, ain't it?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:30 pm

Mike wrote:Well shucks y'all. I read my first review and all the other reviews on Pappy 15, and then TennBourbonMan's review, and Mike Veach's comments...........and I ain't got nothing else to add.............now that's something coming from a BIGMOUTH like me, ain't it?

Mike,

I'm POSITIVE you'll be able to come up with something new and original to add fairly soon, especially with Barleycorn at your side. We got faith in you guys! :cheers:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby longbeachbourbon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Based on your review I went out and splurged on a bottle. Have to say Knob Creek is my favorite until I open up this delicacy. Will let you know about the taste and maybe I'll do my first review based on this one. Thanks.
longbeachbourbon

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion