Vintage Commemortive gold Howard R Walton bottle

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Vintage Commemortive gold Howard R Walton bottle

Unread postby rasputin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Can anyone help with some info on this bottle that I have? it is a limited run (no bourbon) in it, but hand signed by Howard R Walton around 1961. I have a pic attached. email me direct if needed netwerxx@gmail.com
Attachments
bourbon.jpg
bourbon.jpg (106.05 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
rasputin

Re: Vintage Commemortive gold Howard R Walton bottle

Unread postby Squire » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Sure, what would you like to know about specifically, Mr. Walton, the company, or the Bourbon the bottle once contained?
Squire

Unread postby rasputin » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Any info at all would be great. I am new to collecting bottles and thought it looked like a good find.
rasputin

Unread postby Squire » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:57 pm

The bottle itself appears a popular design of the era made to standard dimensions. Notice the top has a sort of truncated funnel appearance. Originally made of medal, those were also referred to as "jigger tops" because they were designed to also serve as a measure ( holding 1 1/2 ounces) for mixing drinks. Unscrew the top, fill and pour for a cocktail.

The whisky it held was made by the Hiram Walker distillery of Peroia, Illinois, which was established after Prohibition in 1933. Some famous brands such as Ten High came out of that distillery. The Bourbons were middle shelf and popularly priced, not the best but good enough. Walker's Deluxe was a mainstay and usually bottled at 86 proof in 6-7-or 8 years of age although I have seen it at 5 years and 100 proof.

Can't say much about Mr. Walton. Walker was a large, international business with distilleries all over, Canadian, Bourbon, Scotch, Rum, you name a beverage alcohol product and Walker made one or more of it. He could have been an exec for Walker or some other concern as the inscription sounds like a retirement testimonial.
Squire

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings