Is EH Taylor considered "limited"?

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Is EH Taylor considered "limited"?

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:15 am

I picked up a bottle of EH Taylor barrel proof yesterday.

It is a bruiser at 134 proof...but only 7 years old...I was hesitant to spend that much but figured what the hey.

Anyone have any insight on this particular bottle?

Also I can pick up a bottle of the EH Taylor Single Barrel as well...any insight on that and if it is worth it?...I always hesitate on single barrels because each barrel is going to have a slightly different personality...so if you read a review on a single barrel bottling...it most likely will not be 100% representative of YOUR bottle...how each barrel ages in the rick house will affect individual barrels...so I have shied away from single barrels...just my philosophy...what's the general opinion on that?
crappie_fisherman

Re: Is EH Taylor considered "limited"?

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 pm

I consider the barrel proof the best in the series. YMMV.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Squire » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:57 am

Age is just a number, what count's is maturity and if it's fully mature I don't care if it even has an age statement.

Single barrels are selected within a range to suit the profile and are very close each to the others. Slight differences perhaps but it's a very good taster indeed who can spot such nuances in a blind tasting. It could be argued that single barrel selections, bottled at barrel proof, are the purest expression of Bourbon a house has to offer.
Squire

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:29 am

We cracked open the Col Taylor last night with friends.

I found the barrel proof to be very drinkable even at ~135.4 proof. An ice cube really changed the dynamics but overall it was a very nice drinker...especially compared to the bottle of Stagg Jr. my neighbor brought over...that stuff was difficult to drink (for me and him).

What I was pleasantly surprised by was how incredibly smooth the Col Taylor Small Batch (orange label) was though...man that is some GOOD stuff (IMO). Has a nice front end to it and a very nice finish...I liked the Small Batch much more than the barrel proof but they are both very good on the palate.
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Gladzilla » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:11 pm

I walked away from buying a bottle of the barrel proof over $100 no thanks, was I being a snob by rejecting it at that price that is what I question, Though the owner did call me to inform me that he had some. I bought the single barrel instead.
Gladzilla

Unread postby coffeecupman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:28 am

I can remember really liking the flavor of my single barrel EH Taylor, but it's kind of embarrassing. I hadn't really learned how to drink the high proof stuff at the time.

One of the best parts of the Heaven Hill tour was teaching us that "it's OK" to put as much water as you need into bourbon to get what you most enjoy out of it.

I remember the Taylor as being "wonderful, and vicious". I look forward to getting back to land and spending some time working on the art of drinking some of this higher proof stuff, as well as others that I may have dismissed due to bourbon inexperience.

ccm
coffeecupman

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:09 am

Gladzilla wrote:I walked away from buying a bottle of the barrel proof over $100 no thanks, was I being a snob by rejecting it at that price that is what I question, Though the owner did call me to inform me that he had some. I bought the single barrel instead.

I believe I picked up the barrel proof for just under $80...

The small batch (orange label) is my favorite of this group though...I was able to pick up more of that at $40 per bottle and have a couple in the cabinet...many of my friends enjoy these regularly at our gatherings...as do I!
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Gladzilla » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:31 pm

I believe I picked up the barrel proof for just under $80...

The small batch (orange label) is my favourite of this group though...I was able to pick up more of that at $40 per bottle and have a couple in the cabinet...many of my friends enjoy these regularly at our gatherings...as do I![/quote]

the single barrel cost me $83, not trying to get off the subject but I feel the area in which I live Northern Louisiana, just has prices that I'm still scratching my head like I paid $60 for Jefferson's very old. and $56ish for a gallon of old charter 10yr.

sorry for getting off topic, I just wish to better inform myself of prices, to know what I'm doing so I don't get blindly ripped off.
Gladzilla

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:19 pm

IIRC, the Sweet Mash, Single Barrel, Warehouse C Tornado Surviving bourbon, and possibly the Barrel Proof were limited/one time releases. Not sure about the Rye. The Small Batch is supposed to be a regular release.
"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby Augmister » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:01 pm

I just picked up two bottles of E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof, $69.99 each. Was going to purchase the Single Barrel but the owner asked me (after a loooog conversation about Bourbon) if I was interest in a bottle of the Barrel Proof he had "in the back". Told me it was a limited release and only received 5 bottles. At first I declined as I thought at 134.5 proof it would be a fireball, not something I would enjoy. I quickly changed course after considering I would never know unless I tried. Sooo, I walked out the door with one of the two bottles. I called my dear KY cousin, knowledgeable in all things Bourbon (visited him last month and he poured me some 12 year old Pappy) from the store parking lot and asked him if he wanted the second bottle. Made his day. And mine.

Waiting for a cold, snowy night to crack the bottle and very much looking forward to it. Much like sex in the future, with a girl you just met, n'est pas? :lol:
Augmister

Unread postby Augmister » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Gladzilla wrote:I believe I picked up the barrel proof for just under $80...

The small batch (orange label) is my favourite of this group though...I was able to pick up more of that at $40 per bottle and have a couple in the cabinet...many of my friends enjoy these regularly at our gatherings...as do I!

the single barrel cost me $83, not trying to get off the subject but I feel the area in which I live Northern Louisiana, just has prices that I'm still scratching my head like I paid $60 for Jefferson's very old. and $56ish for a gallon of old charter 10yr.

sorry for getting off topic, I just wish to better inform myself of prices, to know what I'm doing so I don't get blindly ripped off.[/quote]

In New England, I would be paying $70 for the small batch. There were just two on the shelf when I grabbed the two Barrel Proof I walked away with. Good to know prices!
Augmister

Unread postby CigarGuy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:39 pm

My understanding is the Small Batch and Single Barrel are regular stock.
The Barrel Proof and Rye are limited stock.
The Tornado was a one and done.
I enjoy the Small Batch often. When in New Orleans this last time, walked into
a local shop and they had the Barrel Proof. But haven't seen it on shelves anywhere else.
CigarGuy

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:43 pm

I think all the releases are considered limited.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby sheikyerbouti » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:47 pm

I've been looking to pick up some EH...I'm leaning towards barrel proof.
sheikyerbouti

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:15 pm

sheikyerbouti wrote:I've been looking to pick up some EH...I'm leaning towards barrel proof.

You won't be sorry with that choice.

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Next

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings