More Bourbon on TV

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

More Bourbon on TV

Unread postby mickblueeyes » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:55 pm

I caught AMC's airing of Rocky this evening. I didn't realize until tonight that when Paulie is drinking in the meat packing plant, he is drinking Four Roses.

Also watched the season opener of Deadwood. I noticed that they are using different whisky labels on the bottles than last season. Last season it was almost certainly Old Weller labels. Anyone know what the new ones are? Did BT make them change em?
In spiritus veritas
mickblueeyes

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:41 pm

Since Deadwood is set in 1876, authenticity would demand that the bottles have no labels on them. Although bottled whiskey existed by that date it was still rare and it is doubtful much of it made its way to the Dakota territories. Whiskey would have arrived in barrels and been decanted into bottles for serving. The bottles would have been refilled and reused, if they weren't broken in a bar fight first. Prior to 1903, bottles were blown glass and expensive. Fancy bars had bottles that were more like decanters, with distillery names etched into them (the Getz has a nice collection), which were provided by the distilleries, but it seems doubtful those would have made their way to Deadwood at that early date. The bottles should be rather plain and utilitarian looking, and they shouldn't have labels on them.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby mickblueeyes » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:09 am

You should have consulted on the show! :)
In spiritus veritas
mickblueeyes

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:22 pm

In a movie or TV show, "authenticity" is usually whatever the viewer will think is authentic, as opposed to "real" authenticity. The definition of verisimilitude is "the quality of appearing to be true or real."
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:08 pm

Does other cities than Louisville advertise bourbon ontheir networks?

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:52 am

I noticed the Weller bottles on Season 1 as well. I don't think I ever saw a labeled bottle in a bar, but every other episode or so someone out on the street would be swigging from a Weller bottle. Pretty cool even if it is not authentic. Has anyone picked out what vintage the bottles really were? It is interesting that someone went to extra trouble to provide a minor prop that is not authentic and almost no one would recognize.

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Gayle Hack » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:06 pm

On one episode, a guy walked up to the bar and specifically asked for Basil Hayden.[/b]
Gayle Hack

Unread postby daisy3d » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:08 pm

Jim Beam is sponsoring Detroit Red Wing hockey and advertising a lot during the games. But that's it around, no other good ads on the telli...

HI Mike!

Phil & Jen
Brooklyn, MI
AKA: Home of Michigan's big ass 2mile loop of Nascar
daisy3d

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:20 pm

Several non-broadcast networks, such as ESPN, accept spirits advertising. Here in Chicago we have a local all-sports channel (also non-broadcast) on which Jim Beam is a heavy sponsor. Spirits makers have gotten big into auto racing, with Beam and Daniel's both sponsoring cars. Crown Royal is the overall sponsor of the IROC series.

The Distilled Spirits Council's advertising "code of conduct" used to prohibit radio and TV advertising for spirits brands, but that was modified a few years ago.

The major broadcast networks, with the possible exception of Fox (I'm not sure), still do not accept spirits advertising. NBC annouced it was going to, then retreated due to political pressure. Local stations, however, even if they are network affiliates, can make that decision for themselves and some do accept spirits advertising. Here in Chicago, all of the major broadcast stations are actually owned by their respective networks (as opposed to being merely affiliates) so I'm pretty sure they don't accept spirits advertising. On the other hand, I've gotten so used to seeing it that I don't really note it when I do. I seem to see the Jim Beam commercials constantly, Jack Daniel's only slightly less often, and a new Bacardi spot caught my eye the other night.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Return to Bourbon, Straight