Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:58 pm

Booker's, neat.

Booker's was the bourbon that opened my eyes to the bourbon world, and it is still likely my favorite. Booker's and Dickel 9 year, depending on the mood, are my two favorites.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:26 am

I'm at Dad's house and he has Buffalo Trace so that's what I'm having. Good stuff nice on ice.
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:30 am

Old Grand Dad 114 last evening, can't beat the classics.
Squire

Unread postby Mike » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:56 pm

It is Saturday night and us old guys like to take out the bottle and give it a little exercise.

My very last bottle of Birthday Bourbon from the 2009 release, one of Brown Foreman's best annual releases (I guess it is still an annual release, I have not actually seen any on shelves in at least two years) strode boldly to the front row and caught my attention. Fortunately, I set back a few bottles when it was readily available. It is 12 years old and has that acrid quality, right on the line of being too tannic that I find appealing. Who knows what capricious forces formed our palates. Whatever force it is just as capriciously changes that same palate over time.

As misfortune would have it, the bottle sot right next to a bottle of Barton's 6 YO, a decent bourbon with a slightly sharp edge hovering in the background (as I recall it). So I pour me a drap of the Birthday Boy, have a sip, and out of nowhere my hand reaches for the Barton, pulls the plug and takes a sip straight from the bottle (its my bottle, warn't nobody watching, and besides, I paid for the privilege of doing what I want with it).

The Barton is sweeter than I rekomember (with a bold 6 year old's barrel richness), and the Birthday Boy is more acrid. So, I decided that these two ort to make friends in the glass and throwed them together. Now, I gots my kind of bourbon. A nice dose of upfront creamy sweetness with some dry oak in the middle and a cleansing dose of rye spice toward the back.

Ima thinking in today's market this bourbon should go for about $150 a bottle. It would sure win a triple gold at that San Francisco Bourbon hoedown, where everybody's a whiner, er, I mean winner. Ever notice how everybody declares themselves a winner from San Francisco? I think it is enough to make me a whiner.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:45 am

mikes back!?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:36 pm

And he's drinking Old Grand Dad.
Squire

Unread postby Squire » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 am

Some Old Grand Dad BIB in my coffee this morning (I'm retired) and eased into enjoying this beautiful day.
Squire

Unread postby Bill » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Sipping some Kentucky XO while enjoying reading the latest posts.
Bill

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Having a nice sip of Old Rebel Rye. A easy drinking 90 proof rye whiskey at a sensible price, $24/750. A Luxco/MGP collaboration.
Birdo

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Sipping on some Dickel Rye tonight. I really like it. Taking it through the mountain of charcoal seems to remove the mint and some other off flavors and I like this one. IMO it would make a killer Manhattan.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:56 pm

a little pour of a Willet FE 8 year I bought while the stuff could still be found without feeling the need to pull out a rape whistle.

sometimes I think its a barrel proof old forrester, sometimes a barrel proof HH. tonight, Im leaning toward HH. While good, I still wouldnt repurchase at the $50 I paid for it years ago, which I found to be high at the time.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:13 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:a little pour of a Willet FE 8 year I bought while the stuff could still be found without feeling the need to pull out a rape whistle.

sometimes I think its a barrel proof old forrester, sometimes a barrel proof HH. tonight, Im leaning toward HH. While good, I still wouldnt repurchase at the $50 I paid for it years ago, which I found to be high at the time.

Do you still like Knob Creek Single Barrel? Not a true barrel proof bourbon, it's close enough. I shoulda bought more when it was on sale.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:42 pm

Birdo wrote:
393foureyedfox wrote:a little pour of a Willet FE 8 year I bought while the stuff could still be found without feeling the need to pull out a rape whistle.

Do you still like Knob Creek Single Barrel? Not a true barrel proof bourbon, it's close enough. I shoulda bought more when it was on sale.

i do but havent had one open here in about a year. I still have 8 or 9 of 'em out in the garage from when I found a clearance sale on them for $18 each and wiped the shelf clean of them.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:31 pm

Well, it's Thursday so I'm having some Old Grand Dad.
Squire

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:28 am

Think I might spring for OGD 114 at $21, it looks like a bargain. I didn't like OGD BIB when I was a newbie 5 years ago, but it's time to give the 114 proof version a try. Tastes change over time and I might like it.
Birdo

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight