Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 pm

Well, bought my 2nd (or 3rd?) bottle of the new 112 Rare Breed and I still find myself wishing for more. I have now come to the realization that my beloved 108 is gone forever.

Thankfully there are still many really good whiskeys out there.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:32 pm

RandyG wrote:Well, bought my 2nd (or 3rd?) bottle of the new 112 Rare Breed and I still find myself wishing for more. I have now come to the realization that my beloved 108 is gone forever.

Thankfully there are still many really good whiskeys out there.

Cheers,
RG

Did you like the 108 better than the 112? I saw a couple bottles of 108 on the shelf but wasn't sure. Out of the WT products I've tried, I liked Rare Breed the most (beating Russell's Small Batch Single Barrel and Kentucky Spirit). I only have had the 112.8 proof batch though.

Tonight:
ECBP (batch 139.4)
EC12
Non-bourbon Akashi White Oak
fenderbender4

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:47 pm

I have found Maker's Mark 46, or MM Cask Strength, to be essentials in my liquor cabinet. Each has serious weaknesses, but in terms of vatting, great strengths. I am drinking MM 46 (tannins to offset the sweetness, but still a poor finish), at 2/3 and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked at 1/3 to make the finish. Superb! No wayward elements, a long finish, along with what I would call the control of the subtlety that is the strength of age, or the benefit of extra oak.

As usual, I am off on a tangent. Take it for what it might be worth to you.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:50 pm

Most definately like the 108 over the new batch. Wish I could find some on the shelves around here (MN).

As far as vattings go [Mike], I think the new Rare Breed will find a slot next to your MM cask strength. Another one I have had some good luck with is the Stagg Jr. These high proofers make excellent vatter's! Tried a 50/50 (or thereabouts) of Russel's Reserve Single Barrel 110 and that Stagg Junior this last weekend and was quite taken. Definately one to try again.

RG

Follow up Edit:

OK, long weekend so I tried that 50/50 or so RR & SJ mentioned above. Yep, pretty darn good. Next evening was a 50/50 or so of 112 Rare Breed and Stagg Jr. Even better. So good in fact that when I added a splash of 108 Rare Breed (a favorite of mine) towards the end of the glass, there was no change in profile. Interesting .....
Last edited by RandyG on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
RandyG

Unread postby fozzy71 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:24 pm

My fridge bottle of OGD114:BT to start with a cube, and a 4RSmB from the warm cabinet with a cube. I will be glad when these 90+ days stop tomorrow so I won't feel the nude for a cube. ETL is next on deck and it will probably get a cube as well.

Mike wrote:I have found Maker's Mark 46, or MM Cask Strength, to be essentials in my liquor cabinet. Each has serious weaknesses, but in terms of vatting, great strengths. I am drinking MM 46 (tannins to offset the sweetness, but still a poor finish), at 2/3 and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked at 1/3 to make the finish. Superb! No wayward elements, a long finish, along with what I would call the control of the subtlety that is the strength of age, or the benefit of extra oak.

As usual, I am off on a tangent. Take it for what it might be worth to you.

This post reminds me how little I vat now compared to the past. I need to get back into it and try some new concoctions with what few bottles I have left currently. It will be time to start buying again before long and my plan is to stick to cheaper bottles I have enjoyed on this bourbon journey.
fozzy71

Unread postby whiskey buyer » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:44 pm

I just purchased, and tried a bottle of Col. E H Taylor small batch. It is a very good bourbon. I tried it first, neat, then had some on the rocks.
whiskey buyer

Unread postby fozzy71 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:48 pm

Having some of my last OWA:W12 blend I have been savoring and 4RSmB tonight
fozzy71

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:41 pm

Scored a couple more Rock Hill Farm's this weekend so I hit the open bottle I had been nursing along. Dang good stuff.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby Squire » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:34 am

Good score.
Squire

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:03 pm

whiskey buyer wrote:I just purchased, and tried a bottle of Col. E H Taylor small batch. It is a very good bourbon. I tried it first, neat, then had some on the rocks.

Honestly, my favorite out of the bunch in terms of quality-per-dollar from the EH Taylor Bourbon line. Didn't like the single barrel I had and the Barrel Proof, while good, I like Stagg Jr. more (Batch #5 and #6). So for me the EH Taylor Small Batch for less than $40 is a good one.
fenderbender4

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:03 pm

RandyG wrote:Scored a couple more Rock Hill Farm's this weekend so I hit the open bottle I had been nursing along. Dang good stuff.

RG

RHF, so glad it's not talked about like Blanton's. I like it better and it's now cheaper than Blanton's.
fenderbender4

Unread postby whiskey buyer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Ok it is not 5 yet, but it is my day off, so I am getting ready to enjoy a pour of CEHT small batch.
whiskey buyer

Unread postby Squire » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Believe I'll join 'ya.
Squire

Unread postby Redbeard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Well it is Whiskey Wednesday and I pulled out my bottle of Kirklands small batch for a second tasting. Two fingers in a large old fashion glass, a few ice cubes and after a swirl or two I again was surprised at how good this is. Not in my top ten for sure but in the top twenty.
Redbeard

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:11 am

whiskey buyer wrote:Ok it is not 5 yet, but it is my day off, so I am getting ready to enjoy a pour of CEHT small batch.

Love this stuff. Especially when it's on sale for like $34.99. Last night for me it was: ECBP, Rhetoric 21, IW Harper 15, RHF, 1792 Port, and 1792 Full Proof. Small pours of each.

Also (non-bourbon): Compass Box The Spice Tree & Hibiki Harmony. Harmony is kind of losing its initial appeal to me. The 12 is/was a much more interesting whiskey. I'm becoming a huge Compass Box fanboy though and The Spice Tree is simply amazing stuff. For "single malt" snobs, I pity them and their unwillingness to branch out. At the same time...more for me.
fenderbender4

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight