Attention Michter's fans!!!

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Attention Michter's fans!!!

Unread postby ethangsmith » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Coming up on Valentines Day (Feb, 14th 2010) is the 20th anniversary of Michter's closing its doors in Schaefferstown. The owner of the distillery and I are planning on doing a "Toast to Michter's" that day and possibly giving a tour, and, if we are really lucky, have master distiller Dick Stoll there. Again, this is all up in the air and I am just gauging interest. If we can get it all together, we plan on making it an event! Let me know if you are interested and I will keep you all up to date if there is enough interest and we get it all together!
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Re: Attention Michter's fans!!!

Unread postby samkom » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:27 pm

I'd be there with bells on! Visited Michter's a number of times from 1979 until my last trip in November, 1989. Many stories to share, and would even make a Michter's whiskey cake to share !
samkom

Unread postby ethangsmith » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:54 pm

An update- at this point all systems are "GO" and it looks like we are going to have an awesome crowd! Dick Stoll and his wife Elaine are planning to attend. He was plant manager and master distiller and she was a tour guide there. Several others will be bringing personal belongings to show off. Check out the thread on straightbourbon.com or http://theethansmithblog.blogspot.com/ for even more info, pictures, and updates!
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby ethangsmith » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:43 am

For those coming, something to keep in mind:

Michter's is an abandoned industrial site. There is plenty of rust, protruding objects, uneven flooring and ground, low-hanging objects, and some unstable buildings (the tour will not be going into any unsafe or unstable areas!). That being said, you will be at your own risk during these tours and open-toed shoes, sandals, or crocs will not be allowed. Also, it will probably be very cold so wearing your "dirty" pants and heavy jacket/coat would probably be a good idea as well as there is no heat, water, or electric in all the buildings but one (and that one only has lighting.).
ethangsmith

Unread postby ethangsmith » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm looking at a 1pm time for the tour based on feedback from others. Let me know what you all think? Also, I talked to Dick Stoll, master distiller, and he plans on coming down on the 14th. There will be several other notable people there.
ethangsmith

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm

:love10: :love4: Valentine's Day at Michters! :love4: :love10:

Lipster and The Goddess will be thrilled to make that pilgrimage!
Anyone got any plans for Saturday night?
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:24 pm

The wife and I will be on a cruise that day. Sorry to miss this. If I were home I'd host something Saturday night John. Rats.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby ethangsmith » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:27 am

Good news. To accommodate everyone's needs due to travel times, we will be doing 2 tours. At this point, the tour times will be 10am and 1pm. We are going to try to at least get heat in the still house so if people want to stick around and talk there will be a warm place to do it.

Joe, maybe we can work something else out since you're local.
ethangsmith

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:18 am

Bourbon Joe wrote:The wife and I will be on a cruise that day. Sorry to miss this. If I were home I'd host something Saturday night John. Rats.

Don't feel TOO bad, Joe. :discodance:
:snowman: I wish WE couldn't make it on account-a having to suffer February on a boat in the Caribbean!
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:08 pm

I'd love to attend. The stark winter landscape would make for some fabulous photos. I simply can not bank roll such an assignment on my own. I'd need a sponsor, or better yet an employer. I am open. Have Camera. Will Travel.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby ethangsmith » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Also, I've recently come into a few large collections of Michter's decanters that are full. I am going to be selling my empties. I'm not sure which ones I will have yet. Would anyone be interested in me bringing them down on the 14th? They will be priced very reasonably!
ethangsmith

Unread postby ethangsmith » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:26 am

Attention Michter's fans that will be attending-

We have just been hit with 2 massive record-breaking snow storms and now have about 30" of snow on the ground. We are doing our best to remove snow from walks and creating an area for parking. A broken snow plow is also hindering our efforts now. So when Sunday arrives, please bear with us as we are trying to get as much cleared off as we can for all of you! Just be prepared for there to be substantial snow around the area.
ethangsmith

Unread postby ethangsmith » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 am

Just spoke with the owner and he said his plow will not be able to be repaired in time, the heater is broken and there are 8 FOOT snow drifts around the distillery and the township can't get the road open. The event for the 14th is CANCELLED. Please be sure to cancel any hotel reservations. We are going to try again later this spring.

I apologize for the inconvenience this causes, but it is not safe for us to have it. The snow load on the buildings is unsafe as well.

Thanks for your support,

Ethan.
ethangsmith

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Ethan,

Well, now you know why she's called "Mutha Nature"! :lol:

For those of us who reserved rooms at the Lebanon Holiday Inn Express, I just got off the phone with Mike there and he is totally on top of the situation. He was already aware of the Michter's event, as he had worked out some details with another guest before me.

** If you just had reservations, no problem; call and cancel before tomorrow night.

** If you (like me) got the discounted prices by pre-paying online, those are non-refundable, BUT... the rate is good for the whole year, and y'all know we're gonna do this thing later in the spring anyway. The person Mike talked with set April 24th as a tentative date and transferred his reservation to then, so I did the same thing. That doesn't mean it's locked into that weekend (actually, I'd prefer a week or two later), but if we all do it together at least it will be easier to keep that part of it coordinated.

Ethan, I know you've put a lot of heart'n'soul into this, and the date was certainly appropriate. But no one in his right mind would have been out there visiting the Jug House in February even back thirty years ago. Well, except maybe Komlenic, but no one ever seriously accused Sam of being in his right mind, at least back then. :drunken:

I'm still looking forward to enjoying a day in Shaefferstown, even more so if we can see the ground.
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:19 pm

EllenJ wrote:The person Mike talked with set April 24th as a tentative date and transferred his reservation to then, so I did the same thing.

Isn't that during "Sampler" week??
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight