101 Proof Virgin Bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

101 Proof Virgin Bourbon

Unread postby merlin87 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:07 am

When I was but a pup, I used to drink this stuff, and back then whiskey was a means to an end, not something to enjoy. I now enjoy some really fine bourbons, whiskey and others, but I saw this stuff in a liquor store and figured what the hell. It is nasty beyond belief. But here is my question, the label says "Charcoal Filtered", how is that possible? I thought the very act of filtering of any kind made it NOT bourbon. So, does anyone have the scoop on this? I gave the crap away, but I am still curious...
I have taken more good from alcohol than it has taken from me.
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
http://homepages.otelco.net/merlin
(100% Microsoft free WEBsite)
merlin87

Re: 101 Proof Virgin Bourbon

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:00 pm

mozilla wrote:Now, on to your question. Almost every bourbon on the market today is charcoal filtered. The process consists of the distiller taking a small amount of charcoal and swirling it in the consolidation tank before bottling. And there you have it.

Or just the char in the dump trough (that falls out of the bung holes of barrels) usually qualifies as charcoal filtering in Kentucky.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Sourmashed » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:08 am

Is the difference between TN Whiskies and "filtered" bourbons the fact that TN's are filtered before aging and bourbons after?
By diligent effort...
Sourmashed

Unread postby merlin87 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:27 am

Sourmashed wrote:Is the difference between TN Whiskies and "filtered" bourbons the fact that TN's are filtered before aging and bourbons after?

This is my understanding as well, and the reason for the question.
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
merlin87

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:20 pm

The "Tennessee Process" or "Lincoln County Process" involves a tall vat of sugar maple charcoal. We are talking 10 or more feet in height and about 3 feet in diameter. The whiskey is filtered through this charcoal from the top to the bottom, before it is entered into the barrel. Charcoal filtering involves throwing a cup or so of very finely cround activated charcoal into the tank of aged bourbon and letting that charcoal serve as a place where fatty acids and vegitable oils and condense around when being chilled filtered. Two totally different processes with totally different results.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby merlin87 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:36 pm

Mozilla, I guess I should have said, in my opinion, this stuff is nasty. Taste is subjective, and I understand that, and by your description, I am pretty sure I would have the same opinion of Old Crow.

Now, about the charcoal, I will pay a little better attention when I go back to the distilleries.
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
merlin87

Unread postby Tennessee Whiskey Drinker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:06 am

I have a facebook friend in North Carolina that swears the stuff is as good as Jack Daniel's. I suppose taste is subjective. He says he mixes his with ginger ale 50/50. I drink whiskey straight (neat as they say in England) and I like Jack Daniel's, it's smooth and has a nice taste to it. I have friends who say they don't like the after taste, but I do. I haven't ever seen Virgin Bourbon around here (Murfreesboro, TN) and I don't recall seeing it in the liquor stores in South Carolina nor the ABC stores of North Carolina. My friend Chuck says it's good but he mixes it, you say it's nasty. I wish someone could pour me a drink of it so I could judge for myself.
Tennessee Whiskey Drinker

Unread postby Tennessee Whiskey Drinker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:08 am

P.S. - I like your pipe Merlin87. That's what I do for a chaser too.
Tennessee Whiskey Drinker

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:30 am

The Alabama stores have Virgin 101. It is a Heaven Hill Cat and Dog. BUT, it is at least 7 y/o, 101 proof and cheap. That combination will get my money every time. It's not bad at all and it makes me wonder why they can sell Evan Williams Black Label when this is sitting on the shelf right alongside.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby ansacdwc » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:17 pm

I just now registered on this site. I have been looking for Virgin Bourbon here in Kentucky. I was on a fishing trip to Pickwick back in October and found it at B&B Liquors in Florence AL, I believe. I was stunned to find it at all. I didn't know they had revived the label.

My ex-wife's grandfather was Marvin Padgett and in the 50's he bought the J.P. Dant Distillery in Meadowlawn, KY. He renamed it Old Boone Distillery. Among the many brands he sold was Old Boone, Distiller's Pride and Virgin Bourbon! The label is exactly as it was when he made it except his label read Old Boone Distilling Co., Meadowlawn, KY. It now reads Meadowlawn Distilling Co., Bardstown, KY.

I found it excellent. Very smooth. I bought 2 bottles home and even gave one to my ex-wife for nostalgia-sake.

Marvin also raced horses and in 1965 his horse Blue Skyer won the Louisiana Derby and was third in the Kentucky Derby behind Lucky Debonair. His son Jimmy Padgett was the trainer. His other son, Bill Padgett, was Marvin's plant manager and when he sold the distillery in 1971 Bill went to work as plant manager at Austin Nichols in Lawrenceburg, then worked the last 13 or so years of his career for Bill Samuels in Loretto. Last year I gave him a framed shadow box of several of his father's labels including Virgin Bourbon as a gift.

My first post. A bit long-winded but I hope you found it interesting.
ansacdwc

Unread postby jfkiii » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi everyone, I recently decided to give bourbon another try [after finding scotch my longtime choice] After looking over the old standby brands; I found Virgin Bourbon in my state store in NC. HMMM 101 proof, aged 7 years, and a very reasonable price of $21.95 for 1.75l. So I decided to try it; hey guess what, it isn't bad. I fixed it on the rocks, found it smooth with a pleasant aftertaste and a lingering warmth. I will buy it again and don't think anyone who trys it will be unhappy with their purchase.
jfkiii

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:35 am

I think it's good. It that massive body, phenols, and all that charcoal. But there is so little taste like it was sucked dry. There are no harsh and strong wood character. There no strong notes like in Evan Willaims black or single. Its a bigger body then WT 101. It's just there no taste. I like that little picture on the back with the charcoal filter. My bottle a year later is still smells like a blast of coal smoke. Oh how can I infuse this with a flavor.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby Satty Beach » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 am

Sounds like Old Heaven Hill BIB. The "There's no there there" bourbon. It's 180 degrees out of phase with any other bourbon especially BIB. Maybe it's good for punch spiking or blending. So neutral. The Swiss Bourbon?
Satty Beach

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:16 am

there some other charcoal mellowed out there. never tried them.
Ezra Brooks Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey
Old Ezra 10
Beam Choice.
Old charter?

I think it mellow smoothes it. I like the charcoal kick but it may suck flavours out?
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:49 am

turns out this wins Jim Murry best bourbon under 9 years old for 2011/12.
dickelfanaustralia

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight