The Duke Bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

The Duke Bourbon

Unread postby Redbeard » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:04 am

Tried a search and got nothing for this one. A neighbor gifted me a bottle of The Duke bourbon tonight and I am about to give it a try. I have read other notes on the net about it but I like to make my own decisions. So, by the time I've finished typing, ya'll have finished reading, I would have tried it. Any thoughts? :?
Redbeard

Re: The Duke Bourbon

Unread postby Redbeard » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:00 pm

Had a chance to taste " Duke " Straight Kentucky Bourbon last night and here are my thoughts. Tasted neat.
This is a blend that comes from The Wild Turkey distillery of Lawrenceburg, KY. The bottle is embossed with the
name Monument Valley Distillery....but Monument Valley is where The Duke filmed many of his westerns. I think his
son Ethan Wayne thought it would look good on the bottle, and it does. Just wish the label was a bit more honest up
front. The corked, oval 750ml bottle has a great label with an image of John Wayne on it which I think is from the movie Rio Bravo.
It says it is 88 proof and is a small batch.

The nose has spice and vanilla aromas without the strong wiff of alcohol you often get when you first pour some whiskeys. There is also a hint of leather
but it is not upfront.

Tasting is where the proof is and initially you have a nice spice note that gives way to a smokey- into - maple sugar overtone and finish.
This blend is very smooth and is an easy drink with or without a splash or a cube. It doesn't hurt going down but there is a definite warmth
that creeps up on you as well as the desire to want more.

It is not Buffalo Trace or Elija Craig. Then again is isn't suppose to be. It's an after dinner sipper and for $33 to good to use as a mixer.
Redbeard

Re: The Duke Bourbon

Unread postby Redbeard » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:26 pm

I am surprised that no one else has tried this Bourbon. With over 250 "views" I would have thought that some would have....even if they didn't like it or couldn't find it.
I suppose I should not be surprised though as postings seem to have seriously dropped.
Redbeard

Return to Bourbon, Straight