My trip to Wild Turkey Distillery

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

My trip to Wild Turkey Distillery

Unread postby Birdo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:56 am

Although I'm just 45 miles from the Wild Turkey distillery, I have yet to visit during my 6 plus years in Louisville. Had some time Saturday and junior need highway driving hours so of to WT we went. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and well maintained. The visitor center has a nice rustic charm but is a little small. They have plenty of great choices of bourbon for sale and the price are only slightly higher than Louisville retail. I got a bottle of Russel Reserve 10 year small batch.

They charge a nominal $10 per adult for the tour, kid was free. They haul the group around in an air conditioned tour bus. The two stops include an old 7 story rick house and the new ultra modern distillery. The distillery is on summer shut-down and will crank up in another week. The place is super clean and very modern. As an engineer, I enjoy the process engineering and all the other disciplines involved with making spirits. They didn't show the bottling plant which look modern and was definitely huge.

The fee to get in is reasonable, I think if your interested in WT, you should be willing to shell out a few bucks for their effort. The $10 includes a pretty generous tasting after the short tour. Our samples included Kentucky Spirit and Russel's Reserve, both were served neat and were excellent. I drank my boys since he under age. We then had a sip of 81 proof rye which is not so good neat, and they said it was intended primarily for mixing. They also gave a generous taste of Forgiven blended whiskey. I wasn't so sure about that one, but it was on sale in the store. The fifth sample was American Honey which would be great for the ladies or newer drinkers. They said its their number two seller behind WT101.

Wild Turkey is a super distiller with fine people.
Birdo

Re: My trip to Wild Turkey Distillery

Unread postby RandyG » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:51 pm

If I ever get down there, the Wild Turkey distillery will be my first stop. Surprising the honey flavored is their #2 seller.
RandyG

Re: My trip to Wild Turkey Distillery

Unread postby Squire » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Good report Birdo.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight