The hunt for Weller 12, a boorish yarn...

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

The hunt for Weller 12, a boorish yarn...

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:29 pm

A well respected bourbon blogger said that the annual release of Weller 12 has been shipped and should be on shelves shortly. I checked a couple of stores and to no avail, I'll check back in a few days.

A went the the huge box store near me, the one I have become use to to the point of becoming lazy and not checking on the competition. I then went down Shelbyville Road to a local mom and pop liquor store and my surprise I found Wild Turkey 101 on sale for $17.50 for the plastic 750. WT101 is always on my radar and I get it whenever I get a deal. I also found Heaven Hill gold label bottled in bond plastic jugs which has not been available for at least a year.

So even though the cabinet was full I brought home these to two for now or later. :bounce: Weller has been harder to get than hen's teeth lately.
Birdo

Re: The hunt for Weller 12, a boorish yarn...

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:47 pm

I've been looking for Weller 12 for a while with no luck. It seems like they don't send any of it to Maryland.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Keep an eye out for it, should move fast. Even the Weller SR jug bourbon now sells out quickly. I want to get some Well Antique too.
Birdo

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:28 pm

Weller SR, OWA and Weller 12 have all been on limited allocation for some time now, and will be at least for the near future.

I know some stores that used to get multiple cases of each a couple of times a year, but now they only get a few bottles at a time if they're lucky. There also seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to how and when the local distributor ships stuff out. Early this year, some OWA showed itself, but since then, nothing. One store told me they did get some Weller SR in a couple of weeks ago, but they only got three bottles, and they were gone the same day they put them out on the shelf. I haven't seen Weller 12 (or ETL for that matter) around here in many, many months.

Joe
"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby LouBourbonGuy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:28 pm

It seems different parts of the country either are on allocation or not. Your distributor knows... It seems the best place I have found to get this is in Texas, where my daughter lives. Last time I heard, they were not on allocation for Wellers 12. I found five cases of the 12 a year ago (I bought one) in one store in Houston (I have pictures to prove it!). My daughter routinely gets me 1.75s of the Antique. This is my daily.

I was at Buffalo Trace recently for a tour with my wife, and I mentioned to the guide there that we have found the Wellers in Texas, and he said a lot of people have told him the same thing.

Happy hunting!!
LouBourbonGuy

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:09 am

Concerning the Weller 12 and other BT bourbon allocations, below is the email BT sent out two years ago. This is also posted in the news forum on the opening page of this site. Also and FWIW, I too have visited BT since August of 2014. More than once. I even happen to know a couple of people that work there. :wink: Although restrictions may have loosened some, their bourbons are still basically on allocation. Many of us know that Texas, Illinois and a few other states have always received a higher allotment of Weller offerings. On the other hand, what the distributors do with it when the receive it is another story. Up north here, the distributors have seen fit to do two things. One: They're trying to spread the wealth so to speak. Liquor store allotments have been cut and the distributor has given bars and restaurants more of a "piece of the pie". Two: Again In our area, the distributor appears to be holding some items back. They seemingly dole things out a few bottles at a time here and there with no rhyme nor reason. We used to be able to pretty much be assured of at least a couple of times a year when Wellers, ETL, etc…., would arrive in abundance, and be readily available for quite a while. No more. Like I said before, the stores now receive only two or three bottles here and there if they're lucky.

Joe

BUFFALO TRACE DISTILLERY PUTS RUMORS TO REST

Company Dispels Rumors about Popular Brands Going Away, Price Increases, and More

Source: Buffalo Trace Distillery
August 17, 2014

After providing a recent update to its fans about the bourbon shortage the Distillery currently faces, the rumor mill spun into overdrive as a few folks speculated on why it was difficult to find their favorite Buffalo Trace bourbons on liquor store shelves.

"Many people dismissed the warning about our bourbon shortage, speculating that this was a publicity stunt we conceived to sell more bourbon. That's simply not true. We only provided the update to consumers, retailers, and bartenders in an honest and forthright attempt to explain why bottles seem so scarce these days. Many liquor stores across the country may have empty shelves, and we felt an obligation to explain why," said Kris Comstock, bourbon marketing director. "While we cannot speak for the bourbon industry as a whole, our bourbon shortages are a very real problem, driven by increased demand for the brands. Every single one of our bourbon brands is currently on strict allocation. While we are, and have been, making more over the last several years, bourbon takes a long time to age in oak barrels. As we wait for barrels to mature, there will be temporary periods in which bottles are hard to find."

Once people started to see empty shelves at the local store, rumors started flying. Here are some of the most popular rumors:

Rumor #1: Weller 12 Year-Old-Bourbon will be being discontinued. False. There are no plans to discontinue Weller 12 Year. In fact, we have increased production by a considerable amount for future sales.

Rumor #2: All of the Weller Bourbon is now being shipped to Japan. False. None of the Weller Bourbons (Special Reserve, Old Weller Antique, 12 Year-Old, and William Larue Weller) are shipped to Japan.

Rumor #3: Buffalo Trace is shipping most of its bourbon to China and Japan. False. While a modest amount of bourbon is sent to those markets, the quantity is very small as we ensure the overwhelming majority is made available here in the United States.

Rumor #4: Eagle Rare Bourbon is now aged only six or seven years. False. Eagle Rare Bourbon is still aged for 10 years and there are no plans to change this. The age statement remains on the back of the bottle.

Rumor #5: Elmer T. Lee is being discontinued. False. We have been making Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel for nearly three decades and have no plans to stop.

Rumor #6: Elmer took the recipe for his bourbon to his grave, so it will never be made again. False. Fortunately and thankfully, we have the recipe for Elmer T. Lee Bourbon and are continuing to make more. Additionally, we have a very full archive library of samples of his favorite picks to ensure consistency for the future.

Rumor #7: Elmer T. Lee is becoming part of the Antique Collection. False. We are very happy with our current lineup of the Antique Collection (George T. Stagg, Sazerac 18 Year, Eagle Rare 17 Year, William Larue Weller and Thomas H. Handy Sazerac) and have no plans to change this lineup or discontinue any of the offerings. Furthermore, our Antique Collection whiskies are only released once annually and we want to offer Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel more regularly throughout the year.

Rumor #8: Buffalo Trace is taking advantage of this bourbon shortage to raise prices. False. Our prices to our customers have and will remain relatively unchanged. We strive to offer consumers award-winning whiskey at a great value. Although a minority of stores may now be charging a premium for these limited brands, we are not asking them to do so. Our commitment to quality and pricing will remain consistent now and in the future.

"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:20 am

Doesn't seem to be any here in Louisville, and we are just 50 miles from the distillery. Such is life. We have an excellent selection of bourbon but the Weller stuff is not among them. I have a couple of cases of un-drunk bourbon on hand as it is. If I really need a decent wheater, I'll get some Larceny, its a smoothy for the money.
Birdo

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:57 am

I got a notice from liquor barn that they had Weller 12 at all stores, but I got the notice a bit late and it was gone when I got there. Oh well.
Birdo

Unread postby LouBourbonGuy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:13 pm

This week there seems to have been a distribution of not only 12 YO but Antique as well. Didn't get the 12s, but found 6 1.75s of Antique.
LouBourbonGuy

Unread postby ebo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 pm

We don't worry about any of it in Ohio. :lol: Ohio is worthless for almost any kind of whisk(e)y. Well.............. you know what I'm saying. :wink:
ebo

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:05 am

The hunt for this elusive pour is now over. I was out looking for a six pack of a new beer called "A Tout Le Monde" branded by heavymetal band Megadeth. No luck finding the beer, but I did get my hands on some Weller.

It's only the WL Weller Special Reserve in a 1.75 liter bottle. I had wanted Weller 12 or Antique but it has not come to be. The SR is pretty good though, a easy drinking 90 proofer with enough flavor to enjoy. Comparable to Makers Mark or Larceny from Heaven Hill. There was a one bottle per customer limit, which was fine, the 750ml was priced at $23, and the 1.75l cost $35, do the math, it's a no-brainer.
Birdo

Return to Bourbon, Straight