Three $twenties throwdown

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Three $twenties throwdown

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Some really good bourbon is still available for about $20. I purchased a bottle of Old Grand Dad BIB (100 proof) for $20.99, a bottle of Old Forester Signature (100 proof) for $21.99, and a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel 86.6 proof) for $25.99. These represent three major distilleries, Beam, Brown Foreman, and Heaven Hill. They are what I would call a step up from their best selling bourbon labels. I am quite familiar with each of them and I like them all, but I have not had a sip of any of them in several months. Time to let them compete on a level playing field. Before each I will have a sip of water to clear my palate.

Evan Williams Single Barrel. This has always been a favorite of mine. Its 86.6 puts it a bit on the soft side and its being a Heaven Hill product means that the corn sweetness is given a lot of say. It has a mild rye bite (10% rye in the mash bill), some nice barrel vanilla and caramel overtones, but its finish is only moderately long. An excellent bourbon to begin exploring bourbons. Some might knock it for its lack of character and a weak finish. EVSB is about 10 years old. It is itself and that is a good thing.

Old Forester - A much drier bourbon than the EVSB with the characteristic acrid and metallic (slightly bitter) taste effect common to the Brown Foreman whiskies........ presumably the results of copper pot still usage. The alcohol is only a bit more prominent, even if it is a good deal higher. There is certainly some rye bite, some tannins, a hint of dry toast, and toasted nuts......... and a nice touch of barrel sweetness right up front. The tannins and the rye (18% rye in the mash bill) insure a lengthy finish. An excellent introduction to what I presume are the effects of a pot still. Some might knock it for its acrid taste, and that lingering dryness in the finish. OF is probably, on average, about 6 years old? It is itself and that is a good thing.

Old Grand Dad is quite different from the other two. It offers a good bit of upfront corn sweetness followed quickly by a nice does of rye (30% rye in the mash bill) with its cinnamon spice, then the moderating effects of the vanilla and caramel from the barrel. Emerging in the background is a hint of orange. OGD is a stand up standard bourbon that in its superb way offers new bourbon drinkers a challenge. Some might knock it for it spicy bite. Old Grand Dad is probably, on average, about 6 years old. It is itself and that is a good thing.

I offer these three bourbons as examples of lower priced bourbons that are all excellent, and different. Every bourbon enthusiast should be familiar with them and know that they are different and why they are different. My palate tells me that all are excellent, but it also tells me that were I only allowed mostly one of them from now until forever, I would need to own a lot of stock in Heaven Hill.............. but with some stock in Brown Foreman and Beam.

P.S. Some of you visitors need to express yourselves on this site, which is worth keeping alive. There are people who are knowledgeable about bourbon, and I certainly know a bit about it, but neither I, nor anyone else is, or ever will be, an expert about bourbon. Some opinions are better informed than others, but you, or I, can easily deny anyone the right to call themselves experts (maybe well informed?) on bourbon. Bourbon is like life in that regard, there truly are no experts, and, if there were any, believe me, they would be silent.

Bourbon, like life, is a potential danger to your health and happiness. I, perhaps mistakenly, always presume that I speak to those who know and appreciate bourbon's dangers. And, truth to tell, I sometimes skirt that danger my own self, for I am truly no expert on bourbon............ nor, need I even say it, on life.

Drink for the pleasure it may bring you, not to escape from the challenges life brings.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Three $twenties throwdown

Unread postby Squire » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:01 am

Well said my friend.
Squire

Re: Three $twenties throwdown

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:30 am

Spot on with excellent detail. Pretty much why I enjoy the Heaven Hill and better Beam products more than the bourbon from Old Forester.
Birdo

Return to Bourbon, Straight