I may not qualify as a true bourbon enthusiast

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

I may not qualify as a true bourbon enthusiast

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:09 am

I began with bourbon about 6 years ago. Prior to that it had been beer, but that has its pitfalls with bloating, belching and trips down the hall. Rum and tequila had there times but all that sugar mixer didn't sit well either. It all started with the move to Louisville and I picked up a bottle of Makers which I drank with ginger ale.

These days I mostly enjoy with a cube or two in a rocks glass. I am not especially picky when it comes to bourbon, but I do like what I like. Although I can tell the differences between cheap and expensive bourbon, I often don't think the difference is worth paying for. Here's a run down of my opinions on different distillers:

Heaven Hill: There basic stuff is among my favorite, such as Heaven Hill BIB, Evan Williams BIB and Fighting Cock are all real nice on ice. Larceny from HH is pretty good compared to similar products from Makers. Larceny is also an adequate substitute for the now hard-to-get Weller's. Elijah Craig was good when it could be had a lower price, at current prices, I'll pass. Obviously I can't be an enthusiast if I love cheap offerings from Heaven Hill, the low brow distiller.

Wild Turkey: The 101 is my favorite from here, $40/1.75l makes it a good value. I have been underwhelmed by the Rare Breed and the Russell Reserve, although that's an old opinion that deserves revisiting. WT101 is widely maligned so love of this stuff means I can't be an enthusiast.

Beam: I like the small batch offering with the exception of Basil Hayden. There Old Granddad line is great and priced right. Beam has a lot of new Beam branded products I have tried and probably won't, who knows?, they might be great. There white label, flavored bourbons, and Devils cut are all duds.

Four Roses: Everything these guys makes is great.

Brown and Forman: Good bourbon but generally pricey for what you get, not just my opinion, it's theirs. They tell their investors that they want to command a price premium in all their products. One reason I may not be a true enthusiast is because my favorite BF product is Jack Daniel. Jack has a unique profile that I think is worth paying extra for.

Barton: Good stuff can be had but only when its on sale, don't go out of my to find this stuff. 1792 is a sharp looking bottle, but the dram can be great or not so great.

Buffalo Trace: Many enthusiast and opinion writers place BT as a cut above, and my experience is otherwise. I find their standard offerings too dry to drink neat, and are only suitable for a quality cocktail. With such an opinion, I'm clearing not an enthusiast/

Makers Mark: Decent wheater line, I don't buy it other than as a bar pour if it's the best choice.

MGP: Nice rye if you can get it for a good price. I like the Dickel brand rye they help make. Too many schemers use MGP and jack up the price with a fancy bottle and BS story, and I will not play that game.
Birdo

Re: I may not qualify as a true bourbon enthusiast

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:11 pm

Excellent post Birdo. I doubt I would be considered an enthusiast either. I started drinking whiskey again maybe 6-8 years ago. When I was young it was mostly mixes with Jack, Winsor, Seagram's, etc. I dabbled in whiskey done neat in my mid/late 20's but by then tequila was the go to for a spirit. Beer was always there and I continue to enjoy it to this day. Guiness and Sam Adams have replaced Old Milwaukee and the like.

My return to whiskey started with a bottle of Woodford I believe. Not bad at all but we were just getting started. After that were some Wild Turkey offerings. Rare Breed & Kentucky spirit. Now we were getting somewhere! After that it was a slow process of getting at least one mid/top shelf offering from the various distilleries. The good ones have earned a permanent spot on my shelves.

During my journey I also ventured into good tequilas, scotches, cognacs, irish and most recently a Canadian. I strongly suggest every bourbon lover to try these other spirits. They can be truly exceptional.

I am not a true enthusiast. I rarely savor the aroma. I really don't pay attention to which part of my pallet is enjoying what's in the glass. I do have some Glencairn glasses but rarely use them. I enjoy these spirits purely for there taste.

Lastly, I would like to thank each and every one of you. Your insight and experience have been, and always will be, very appreciated.

Cheers,
Mr. G
RandyG

Unread postby Mike » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Well, I am a bourbon enthusiast and i think both you guys are. You both enjoy bourbon and know a lot about it and about your own palate.

I do not think of myself as a connoisseur and do not consider that to be a term worth much.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Birdo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:25 pm

I enjoy you guys and this forum is fun, just wish there were more active posters.

I'm a bit like Randy, I don't often drink a beer but when I do I prefer a good one like Sam Adams. Fortunately, my Brother-in-law always has great craft beer on hand. My late Father-in-law always offered me an Old Milwaukee, my response was always "sound good, thanks".

The massive liquor store can be a bit overwhelming here in Louisville. There are so many choices of everything it's hard to decide. It use to be Beam had white and black label, now, they must have 20 choices.
Birdo

Unread postby ebo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:08 pm

Of course you're an enthusiast.... you post on a bourbon site. :lol:

I'm with you: My favorite stuff is inexpensive. I drink, and like quite well..... OGD BiB and WT101. My favorite pour is probably FRSB , although, I will rarely spend the money for it. Strangely, I don't care for the yellow label at all. EC12 was another favorite, but I won't buy it anymore with it not being age stated.... and more expensive than it was.
ebo

Unread postby Squire » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:09 pm

I like it well enough to think about it and post about it on a Board where others want to talk about it. So I guess I'm an enthusiast.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight