Frozen Bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Frozen Bourbon

Unread postby matclar » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:06 pm

My brother inlaw gave me a bottle of bourbon that was unopened but has been in his freezer for over a year and now it's warm. Is it still drinkable or should should I just pass on it? Thoughts?
matclar

Re: Frozen Bourbon

Unread postby Squire » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:40 pm

Drink it. A number of people keep a bottle of liquor in the freezer, usually vodka or gin, but Bourbon will keep as well. I'd be surprised if it is fully frozen and should still flow out of the bottle.
Squire

Unread postby matclar » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:02 pm

Squire wrote:Drink it. A number of people keep a bottle of liquor in the freezer, usually vodka or gin, but Bourbon will keep as well. I'd be surprised if it is fully frozen and should still flow out of the bottle.

Sorry, the title is misleading. It's not frozen, it's just been in there for a year but now is warm. I would hate to discard a good bottle. I was wondering if the bourbon getting warm would have any negative effect on the liquor.
matclar

Unread postby fozzy71 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:14 pm

I don't put mine in the freezer but I often keep/put a bottle or two in the fridge during hot spells to drink (often with ice too). When the temps go down I will pull it out onto the stove until it comes to room temp and is done sweating then put it back in the room temp cabinet to drink. I am sure your bottle should be fine and drinkable.
fozzy71

Unread postby Squire » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:43 pm

matclar wrote:Sorry, the title is misleading. It's not frozen, it's just been in there for a year but now is warm. I would hate to discard a good bottle. I was wondering if the bourbon getting warm would have any negative effect on the liquor.

No, it won't. You can drink it now, or even put it back in the freezer.
Squire

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:25 am

Saw a documentary on the Shackleton whisky found in his antarctic camp from the early 1900's. Really fascinating story. It not only survived 100 years in the arctic, they actually brought back a case, sampled it and had a master blender duplicated the stuff before returning it to it's original resting spot. I would have loved to have picked up a bottle. It was supposedly quite good.

RG
RandyG

Return to Bourbon, Straight