Hudson Four Grain Bourbon Whiskey

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Hudson Four Grain Bourbon Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:13 pm

I cannot recall when I purchased this 375 ml bottle from Tuthilltown Spirits out of Gardiner, NY. Nor can I recall the last time I had a sip of this bourbon. But, it is on my shelf and since it is down to about one fifth of the bottle left, I obviously never found it something I did not like. So, off it comes from the shelf as I am trying to rid myself of so many bottles that are almost empty.

Tonight, I find this a particularly appealing whiskey. To the palate of this oldster (according to Facebook, I am 106 years old and who am I to argue with Facebook), this has that characteristic of well-made but young (young is relative in this case because it was aged in small barrels, which offer more of the barrel surface for a given time period) whiskey wherein the character of the grains is allowed full play. I wish my palate were well trained enough to distinguish the individual grains here........ certainly the corn and the rye are apparent, but the wheat and the barley do not give themselves away to me.

My like of wheat bourbons suggests that the rye is moderated by the wheat, so I do not find this boy sharp, but also not without a cinnamony bite. I am enjoying this sip very much, at least in part because it has a well defined character. If I run across this bourbon again, I will buy because it is unique and because I like it.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Hudson Four Grain Bourbon Whiskey

Unread postby Squire » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:30 pm

Good post Mike.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight