Elijah Craig 18 Thoughts?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Elijah Craig 18 Thoughts?

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:51 pm

So I'm tempted to pick up a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 (from the most recent release) but it's priced at $150. Is it worth it to try it? There aren't any bars or anything with it around to try. I like the EC12 I've had. When the price starts getting up to $150, all of a sudden there are a few 18 year old scotches etc. that are less or about the same and I'm unsure.

What are people's thoughts? Is the EC18 worthy of a splurge?
fenderbender4

Re: Elijah Craig 18 Thoughts?

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:08 pm

I've never purchased a bottle of EC18, but I have had a few tastes over the years. IMHO, it's a decent bourbon, and it's not overly woody if that's what you're worried about. The turn off for me is the citrus taste that a lot of people attribute to HH products. That citrus flavor has also been described as alcoholy, mediciney, acetone, eucalyptus, and camphor to name a few. That flavor first became apparent to me in my first bottle of Henry McKenna BIB. I then also noticed it in EC12 and EC18. It's kinda weird because I've never tasted it in any of the HH BIB's. I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with HH's more aged products?????

I've only seen one bottle of EC18 in the wild. This was a while back, right after HH announced that they were suspending production of EC18 for an undetermined amount of time. I was tempted to buy it just 'cause, but I just couldn't justify the $59.99 price tag. FWIW, I can't remember exactly what EC18 used to sell for back then, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhat less than $60.00. It was a pass for me at $60.00, and would be an even more easy pass at $150.00.

I hope this helps rather than just muddy the waters even more.

Joe
"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:29 pm

fishnbowljoe wrote:I've never purchased a bottle of EC18, but I have had a few tastes over the years. IMHO, it's a decent bourbon, and it's not overly woody if that's what you're worried about. The turn off for me is the citrus taste that a lot of people attribute to HH products. That citrus flavor has also been described as alcoholy, mediciney, acetone, eucalyptus, and camphor to name a few. That flavor first became apparent to me in my first bottle of Henry McKenna BIB. I then also noticed it in EC12 and EC18. It's kinda weird because I've never tasted it in any of the HH BIB's. I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with HH's more aged products?????

I've only seen one bottle of EC18 in the wild. This was a while back, right after HH announced that they were suspending production of EC18 for an undetermined amount of time. I was tempted to buy it just 'cause, but I just couldn't justify the $59.99 price tag. FWIW, I can't remember exactly what EC18 used to sell for back then, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhat less than $60.00. It was a pass for me at $60.00, and would be an even more easy pass at $150.00.

I hope this helps rather than just muddy the waters even more.

Joe

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up and info. Just looking for people's experiences and opinions on it. I don't plan on making EC18 an "everyday drinker" (let alone at $150) but with it being somewhat hard to find, it's tempting for the chance to try it. Like I said before though, $150 buys a lot of other whiskeys. Might be better spent on the 2016 release of Michter's 10. Also pricey but it's not $150.
fenderbender4

Unread postby GaryV » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:22 pm

A few years ago I found a couple of single barrel bottles of EC18 for $55 each. One seemed to disappear pretty quickly, the second is bunkered for another day. I didn't notice any of the things that Joe mentioned, but being a single barrel pick could be why. A very good bourbon with nice dark cherry flavor that would've been even better if it was bottled at a little higher proof.

If I ever come across any of these older bottles at similar pricing it'll be a no-brainer, but the current whiskey at $150....... :?:
GaryV

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:36 am

No way. If I spend $150, I'll need a grocery cart to get my purchase to the car. We're talking a couple of gallons.

May be 3 bottles of Booker's would be a safer bet also. Maybe one bottle of Booker's and 2 handles of wild turkey 101. How about 5-6 bottles of regular Elijah Craig?
Birdo

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:41 am

I drank it back in the day, when you could buy it for under 40 bucks. I liked it but I would never pay 150 for it.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Squire » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:01 pm

Agree with Joe.
Squire

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:23 pm

I'm finding more and more that I do really like the wood/oak flavors but with budget in mind, and what else there is to try, I think I'll pass on it. Hopefully one day, prices will come back down a bit. The second hand market is just insane for some of the stuff.
fenderbender4

Unread postby ebo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Agree with Joe. I drank it back in the day when it was affordable. Personally, I don't think any whisk(e)y is worth $150.00.
ebo

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:06 pm

I actually like the 12 better.

RG
RandyG

Return to Bourbon, Straight