Proof Positive?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Proof Positive?

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:14 pm

I understand that many experienced bourbon lovers find favor with 80 proof bourbons, or even with 60 proof (among some Master Distillers). For myself, I prefer a bourbon to be at least 90 proof. As to why that is the case my off the top of my head my answer would be that the best flavors of the barrel give up too much below about 90 proof (actually, I probably prefer 100 proof).

As I consider my preference, I also suspect that as a gentleman (OK, just a man) of a somewhat advanced age (Facebook thinks for some reason that I am over 100 years old, but nevermind that), I have lost a significant degree of my ability to taste and smell. Therefore, just as having to turn the volume up on the TV to understand what people are saying, I must increase the potency of what I eat and drink to enjoy the flavors.

I also attribute my desire for stronger bourbon to a preference for the rich barrel flavors that seem to be lost in 80 (-) proofers, and I prefer older bourbons whose tannins can tame the higher proof.

I tried one of my favorite high proof bourbons at 60 proof, but found it a bit thin. I wonder if I had a history with only 60 proof bourbons and then was offered a 100 proofer, if I would immediately add water, and have all the reasons at hand as to why the 60 proof was ideal.

With the Master Distillers who job it is to sip bourbon, I am sure they have the practiced palate to detect the proper balance of elements even at 60 proof.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Proof Positive?

Unread postby Squire » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:27 pm

I also have to turn up the tv volume but it doesn't improve what they have to say.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight