The best bourbon in the whole wide world

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

The best bourbon in the whole wide world

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:42 pm

1) Is free
2) Is shared with friends
3) Is the one you ain't tried yet

Life is hard on each and every one of us (some much more than others)..........look for the Rest Areas........there you will find family, friends, children, bourbon, bourbeque, tall tales, play, laughter, and..... the tears that we must all shed.

No tears? Sadder than the tears themselves!
Last edited by Mike on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:49 pm

All of the above, my fine brother!

The best bourbon in the whole wide world is shared with friends for free, and is often one ima hasn't tasted yet - but even if I've tasted it a million times - any bourbon shared with my brothers and sisters of the corn is ALWAYS THE BEST!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Re: The best bourbon in the whole wide world

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Mike wrote:1) Is free

Some modifications are needed:
1) Is free George T. Sagg
2) Is George T. Stagg shared with friends
3) Is the one year of George T. Stagg you ain't tried yet
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Re: The best bourbon in the whole wide world

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:47 pm

BourbonDrinker wrote:
Mike wrote:1) Is free

Some modifications are needed:
1) Is free George T. Sagg
2) Is George T. Stagg shared with friends
3) Is the one year of George T. Stagg you ain't tried yet

To my new friend Devin,

I love and admire your website and your willingness to build it. I like your attitude and love of bourbon. But, I and knowledgeable others before me, have correctly concluded that there is and can never be a best bourbon. I will put myself out on a tenuous limb and say that I feel a certain sadness for anyone who decides there is a best.

We could argue over this endlessly, and I know I cannot win this arguement, and will say nothing against the character of those persons who say there is a 'best'.

Still, my puny little soul must rebel against the notion that one bourbon is the be all and end all of bourbondom. Enjoying the variety and diversity is a greater imperative than choosing one above all others.

We all have some degree of individual preferences, but to make exclusionary choices about matters of taste seems to be to unnecessarily foreclose options and the possibility of change and growth. (If I am guilty of overkill here, forgive me).

I am old, growing older, full of shit, and know precious little. But, I do occasionally take the liberty of a person of my age to spout opinions that will have meaning to few.

It may not be the hearing that matters at this point so much as the saying (so be indulgent of my rambling), much like whistling in the wind. I am an American who can never rid himself of the notion that what I have to say matters somewhere, sometime, somehow.

What, I sincerely ask you, could be more ridiculous, or more ridiculously true, than that?
Mike

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:13 pm

:lol:

I must admit, when it comes to the Stagg I'm completely and utterly biased!!! She was my first true Bouron love and none may ne'er taste so sweet!

Bourbon is truly diverse and wonderful. I must keep reminding myself that there is life after (and beyond) Stagg.

The motivation behind my own site is to search out and find another love as sweet as my beloved Stagg. And I'm willing, by gosh, and I have the passion, I declare, to search out and find new bottles until I find that one, sweet uber-bottle that can outshine 'er. Even if this means trying every other bourbon in town. Until then, I will try to forget the Stagg and move on! And whenever I feel weak, and miss my ol' girl, I can always pour a glass and worship at her alter.
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:22 pm

You are quite a guy BD. My hat is off to you!
Mike

Yes Sir!

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Mike,

I agree. As I've journeyed on my bourbon adventure I am always surprised, pleased and excited when pouring a dram of something I've never tried before. I had the pleasure this weekend of enjoying many pours of new (old) whiskey with new and old friends. I attended a tasting and had the pleasure of drinking:

1933 ORVW
ORVW 15
PVW 20
PVW 23
Mt. Vernon Straight Rye Whiskey
5 different decades of Old Fitz BIB
Hirsch Blue Wax

I could never say that I have one top bourbon (and I do love Stagg) as my tastes, mood, environment, etc. do dictate to a certain degree my ability to enjoy a particular pour. Does sharing a wonderful bourbon taste better when enjoyed with friends? Maybe so. I've recently become addicted to dusty hunting and have come across many older bottles (as you know). These older bottles have added a whole new dimension to my bourbon tasting efforts and I love the fact that these are not only still available but mighty fine pours to boot.
ggilbertva

Re: Yes Sir!

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:59 pm

ggilbertva wrote:Mike,

Maybe so. I've recently become addicted to dusty hunting and have come across many older bottles (as you know). These older bottles have added a whole new dimension to my bourbon tasting efforts and I love the fact that these are not only still available but mighty fine pours to boot.

I always stop at out of the way liquor stores wherever I am but so far have had very little luck in finding older bourbons. You have been quite successful (thanks for the exchange that brought me the wonderful bottle of 8 YO WT...........it is just marvelous).
Mike

Unread postby ggilbertva » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:03 pm

Mike wrote:
ggilbertva wrote:Mike,

Maybe so. I've recently become addicted to dusty hunting and have come across many older bottles (as you know). These older bottles have added a whole new dimension to my bourbon tasting efforts and I love the fact that these are not only still available but mighty fine pours to boot.

I always stop at out of the way liquor stores wherever I am but so far have had very little luck in finding older bourbons. You have been quite successful (thanks for the exchange that brought me the wonderful bottle of 8 YO WT...........it is just marvelous).

Now I'm tempted to open my bottle of WT 8 YO. I've been putting off opening up any new bottles cause I have so many open as it is.....decisions, decisions.....
ggilbertva

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:23 pm

ggilbertva wrote:Now I'm tempted to open my bottle of WT 8 YO. I've been putting off opening up any new bottles cause I have so many open as it is.....decisions, decisions.....

Greg,

It is clear that you have far too many sealed bottles. Open the 8 year old Wild Turkey. The Fourth of July is tomorrow! You need vintage Wild Turkey! It's the All American thing to do! I would suggest you pair that with a well aged Oynx Maduro.

:arrow: ima :flag:
bunghole

Unread postby ggilbertva » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:39 pm

bunghole wrote:
ggilbertva wrote:Now I'm tempted to open my bottle of WT 8 YO. I've been putting off opening up any new bottles cause I have so many open as it is.....decisions, decisions.....

Greg,

It is clear that you have far too many sealed bottles. Open the 8 year old Wild Turkey. The Fourth of July is tomorrow! You need vintage Wild Turkey! It's the All American thing to do! I would suggest you pair that with a well aged Oynx Maduro.

:arrow: ima :flag:

Sheesh...Ok. Ima gonna break her open tomorrow!!! I do have a lot of sealed bottles but hey, they'll be broken open at some point.
ggilbertva

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:04 pm

Hey, Joe sealed bottles are just like virgins. They all have to have their cherries popped some day!

oops! Did ima say that!?

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

WT open for business

Unread postby ggilbertva » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Ok, so I went ahead and popped open my 1.75 WT 8 YO. Wow! Love the nose and the mouthfeel is very nice. Wonderful flavor. You're right Mike, delicious.
ggilbertva

Re: WT open for business

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:42 pm

ggilbertva wrote:Ok, so I went ahead and popped open my 1.75 WT 8 YO. Wow! Love the nose and the mouthfeel is very nice. Wonderful flavor. You're right Mike, delicious.

You have good taste, Gregg!
Mike

Unread postby jburlowski » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:45 pm

... I'm definitely with the "shared with friends" crowd. The best bourbon is one consumed (and hopefully enjoyed) with friends!
John B.
jburlowski

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight