better after sitting?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

better after sitting?

Unread postby Bucc58 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:04 pm

Does anyone know if letting a bourbon breathe lowers the proof any by evaporation or changes the taste? For all I know, that is the very thing that it does. The reason I ask is because when I first opened a bottle of Bakers I didn't much care for the taste. So, after a couple of discouraging pours I put it towards the back of my collection. It stayed there for about a year before I revisited the bottle. To my surprise it tasted like a totaly different bourbon. I thought some of the more experianced people on this forum might have some comments on this. Thanks.
Joe Young
Bucc58

Re: better after sitting?

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Bucc58 wrote:Does anyone know if letting a bourbon breathe lowers the proof any by evaporation or changes the taste? For all I know, that is the very thing that it does. The reason I ask is because when I first opened a bottle of Bakers I didn't much care for the taste. So, after a couple of discouraging pours I put it towards the back of my collection. It stayed there for about a year before I revisited the bottle. To my surprise it tasted like a totaly different bourbon. I thought some of the more experianced people on this forum might have some comments on this. Thanks.

Well, Joe, for what it is worth, I suspect 'tis you that have changed in that year of sipping on other bourbons. That has certainly been my experience.

But if there is a bit of air space in the bottle there certainly can be changes in the taste. Others here know more than I on that subject. Our own MikeK takes notes at each stage of a bourbon's journey as the bottle goes toward empty and does not write reviews of his bourbons until he has finished the bottle........an interesting and great way to go about it. He may have some insight in that area.

At 107 proof Baker's is just on the edge of what I like to call the 'sweet spot' for bourbon. On some days it needs a wee bit of water to loosen it up, on others it goes down beautifully.

I happen to think Baker's is a top shelf bourbon with loads of rich flavor, thick creamy mouthfeel, a touch of citrus that adds to the interest, and a zesty bite that says bourbon very well.

Welcome to the site. Come enjoy and learn about bourbon with us!
Last edited by Mike on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Joe,

After a year, it's you that's done the changing, and not the Baker's.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Good

Unread postby Bucc58 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Well this means I have changed for the better. So good for me. But on the other hand it means that my WT Rare Breed is not going to get better. I got it about the same time and I really like it less every time I drink it. :(
Joe Young
Bucc58

Re: Good

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Bucc58 wrote:Well this means I have changed for the better. So good for me. But on the other hand it means that my WT Rare Breed is not going to get better. I got it about the same time and I really like it less every time I drink it. :(

There was a time when WT products seemed to me to have a bit too much bite (and seemed too strong for my palate). For whatever reason I am now a very great fan of WT products (except for the new Russell's Reserve 90 proof, which I consider a miscarriage...........as to the 80 proof WT products I have never tried them so I really don't know).

But I think Rare Breed is a first rate bourbon. It is apparently not for you. But if you continue to try different bourbons, give it a try from time to time to see if you have warmed up to its delights.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Bucc58 wrote:Well this means I have changed for the better. So good for me. But on the other hand it means that my WT Rare Breed is not going to get better. I got it about the same time and I really like it less every time I drink it. :(

I just happen to know of another well educated and highly thought of Bourbon Enthusiast that just doesn't care for the Wild Turkey line as a whole. He is both, open-minded and has an excellent palate. He knows what he's tasting when he tastes it.

Not every bourbon line/mashbill is going to make you dance with the angels.

Find what you like and enjoy it. Stay open to change, and say yes when it happens.

It helps to be dog lover. Hound dogs in particular. Talking hounds (such as "Barleycorn"), or beagles named "Whiskey" make excellent pets. Bassett Hounds can easily become excellent bourbon hounds. Their sensitive noses can turn up pre-prohibition bottles of bottled-in-bond bourbon like you wouldn't believe!

It's True!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby jburlowski » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:50 pm

I agree.... I've found that my tastes (of the moment) change more , and more often, than then the taste of the bourbon does.

This is one of the reasons why I do several tastings (over several weeks at least) before I'm willing to declare a pour a favorite or to pan it.
John B.
jburlowski

ok

Unread postby Bucc58 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:57 pm

I will give it a try tonight as a matter of fact. It has been several months since I tried it last. I will let you know something monday about the event and if I've changed any to its taste. :)

The only bourbons I refuse to try again are fighting cock and prichfords double barrel. They are just horrible. I think Mike refered to russell's 90proof as a miscarriage. Good term for these! :Humbug:
Joe Young
Bucc58

Return to Bourbon, Straight