Cheap vs Expensive throwdown

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Cheap vs Expensive throwdown

Unread postby Mike » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:22 pm

Well, all of my life I have been known, even to my very own self, to sometimes not have good sense.

So, on one of those occasions (even getting old ain't rectified this), I bought a bottle of Rock Hill Farms for $79. My imaginary dog, Barleycorn was with me and being fully cognizant of my shortcomings, dared me to do it.

Once upon a while ago, RHF was a favorite of mine, and on this occasion, it being rare in these parts, I succumbed to the fond memories of that bourbon and the urging of a animal whose very existence is open to question.

So, in conversation with my ID (imaginary dog), we wondered how the most expensive bourbon I have bought in a long while compared to one of the cheapest, which would be Evan Williams Green Label at about $11. EWGL is only 3 years old, and charcoal filtered, and is 80 proof, while RHF is probably 8 to 10 years old and is 100 proof. Now, I am hoping you ain't gone expect me to say that the RHF is or is ain't 7 times better or worser that EWGL, cause I ain't gone say that.

What I will say is that the bottle of RHF has lost its contents much quicker than the bottle of EWGL has. Now, lads (any lassies?), chew on that and digest it as you will, unless you ain't of a mind to do so. Howsomever, I don't expect to buy no nother bottle of RHF at $79.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Cheap vs Expensive throwdown

Unread postby ebo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Tell you what..... I find it hard to beat OGD BiB or WT101 for the money.
ebo

Unread postby RandyG » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:52 pm

RHF vs. EW white label might be in order here. I still have some RHF open. Should pick up a white label. As I recall white label was only another $3 or so. I also recall liking white much more than green. Hmmmm?

RG

RHF would still kick it's arse. But still.....
RandyG

Unread postby fozzy71 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:50 pm

ebo wrote:Tell you what..... I find it hard to beat OGD BiB or WT101 for the money.

+1

RandyG wrote:RHF vs. EW white label might be in order here. I still have some RHF open. Should pick up a white label. As I recall white label was only another $3 or so. I also recall liking white much more than green. Hmmmm?

RG

RHF would still kick it's arse. But still.....

EWBiB is one of my faves as well
fozzy71

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:39 pm

I'm liking my new bottle of Evan Williams BIB white label really well. I have overlooked this one for a long time, but now find it quite nice. Heaven Hills profile at a great price, $14.99/750ml here in KY. Milder than Fighting Cock with its own character.
Birdo

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:22 am

I'd recommend Ezra Brooks 7 year (101) proof. For around $20, it's awesome. Having said that...RHF is one of my favorites. I've found it for $47.99. At that price...buy a case. For $79 I'd buy less, but would still put it up there amongst bourbons. I personally find it's the best out of the Buffalo Trace #2 mashbill set. Blanton's is alright, but I still like RHF better. It's kind of like Blanton's but with everything that I thought was missing (finish, oak, red fruits, and the blending of all the flavors).
fenderbender4

Return to Bourbon, Straight